[1.12.2] Problem with capability registration

SaltStation

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, wog890 said:

Would you mind answering what the issue is. This same problem is driving me up a wall.

Use the register method that wants a Class<T>, CapabilityIStorage<T>, abd a Callable<? extends T> instead of the one that wants two classes. Also post your code, and maybe create your own thread.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

37 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Use the register method that wants a Class<T>, CapabilityIStorage<T>, abd a Callable<? extends T> instead of the one that wants two classes. Also post your code, and maybe create your own thread.

That I can tell, there is only one register method in CapabilityManager.INSTANCE and it takes the above inputs. I don't see how I can use anything other than that. Sorry if I should have done a new post, I was hoping to not create a new one if a previous one was about the same issue. I'm starting simple and the basic mana tutorial for capabilities before making the capability I actually need so my current code is:

Capability Interface (Class<T>)

public interface IMana {

public void consume(float points);
	public void fill(float points);
	public void set(float points);

public float getMana();

}

Capability Implementation (Callable<? extends T>)

public class Mana implements IMana {

public static float MAX_MANA = 250.0f;

private float mana = 250.0f;

@Override
	public void consume(float points) {
		this.mana -= points;
		if (this.mana < 0.0f) this.mana = 0.0f;
	}

@Override
	public void fill(float points) {
		this.mana += points;
		if (this.mana > MAX_MANA) this.mana = MAX_MANA;
	}

@Override
	public void set(float points) {
		this.mana = points;
	}

@Override
	public float getMana() {
		return this.mana;
	}
}

Capability Storage (CapabilityIStorage<T>)

public class ManaStorage implements IStorage<IMana> {

@Override
	public INBTBase writeNBT(Capability<IMana> capability, IMana instance, EnumFacing side) {
		return new NBTTagFloat(instance.getMana());
	}

@Override
	public void readNBT(Capability<IMana> capability, IMana instance, EnumFacing side, INBTBase nbt) {
		instance.set(((NBTPrimitive) nbt).getFloat());
	}

}

In my main mod class I call:

CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IMana.class, new ManaStorage(), Mana.class);

I get the error: 

The method register(Class<T>, Capability.IStorage<T>, Callable<? extends T>) in the type CapabilityManager is not applicable for the arguments (Class<IMana>, ManaStorage, Class<Mana>)

Nothing overly complicated going on here, but I can't figure out what the issue is. I've followed a good number of tutorials at this point trying to find what the problem is, but they handle capabilities this same way. Make an Interface, make a class that implements it, make a storage, and finally register it. Currently I'm following https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/forge-tutorial-capability-system/

I also copied the (capabilities relevant) code from this github https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/1.10.x/src/test/java/net/minecraftforge/test/TestCapabilityMod.java that creates all the classes directly in the main class file and had the same error.

1 minute ago, wog890 said:

Mana.class

Does not equal

1 minute ago, wog890 said:

Callable<? extends T>

You need to A) Use a lambda that returns a new instance of your Mana class OR B) Mana::new OR C) make a class that extends Callable in which the function returns a new instance of your Mana class.

I assume you are using 1.12.2 the register method that takes the parameters Class<T>, IStorage<T>, Class<? extends T> doesn't work anymore.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

6 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Does not equal

You need to A) Use a lambda that returns a new instance of your Mana class OR B) Mana::new OR C) make a class that extends Callable in which the function returns a new instance of your Mana class.

I assume you are using 1.12.2 the register method that takes the parameters Class<T>, IStorage<T>, Class<? extends T> doesn't work anymore.

God, such a simple little thing. Thank you for the assistance! I was focused on the <? extends T> and trying to figure out if implementing was different then extending and how to handle this if it is (I'm used to Javascript not Java) and have not noticed even once that it says Callable and not Class. Option b seems to be the simplest and has appeared to work!

Now your original question makes sense to me as well!