[1.14.4] Custom Trees

HoofedEar

Hi all, I was wondering if there any resources that would be useful for me to make a custom tree and how to generate it? I tried doing some searching on the forums here and there wasn't much I could find..

Basically, I'd like to create a tree that drops an item when the bark is stripped from its wood, and some leaves that have a chance of dropping an item when broken.

I understand that I'll need to make a new type of wood (perhaps I can just copy the code from standard oak wood?), new leaves, and two new items for crafting purposes.

I think the biggest challenge will be trying to make an item drop when the wood is stripped using an axe.

This is my first time making a mod, but not my first time programming so I'm not asking for others to code this for me (how great would that be) but I just want to know where in the source I need to look to be able to mimic functionality and where to start.

Thanks!

Just posting this here in case anyone else is looking for more info.

I was able to locate the files Minecraft uses for it's trees (I decided to borrow data from the Dark Oak Tree). Files to look for:

DarkOakTree.java
DarkOakTreeFeature.java
DarkOakTreePlacement.java

And the various .json files related to the dark oak tree, sapling, and leaves.

From the looks of it, I'm able to copy the .json data over and have it work with the block I have created.

However, it seems I won't be able to just copy and paste the code from the .java files and will need to try to find more.

I must say, the documentation for Forge leaves much to be desired. You would think a project with such a huge user base would be documented better.

But I digress.

If anyone else has any tips or info on making custom trees, feel free to reply here! Thanks!

If you want to make a tree, you have to make a class that looks something like this:

public class CustomTree extends AbstractTreeFeature<NoFeatureConfig>
{
	public CustomTree()
	{
		super(NoFeatureConfig::deserialize);
	}
}

You also have to override the place method in this class. The place method places all the blocks you want. Then, go into your features class (or whatever you are using to store different features) and add:

public class MyFeatures // If you don't already have a features class make it using something like this name
{
	public static AbstractTreeFeature<NoFeatureConfig> CUSTOM_TREE = new CustomTree();
  	//... All other features you have
}

you can then go into your custom biome and add it like this:

public class MY_CUSTOM_BIOME extends Biome
{
	public MY_CUSTOM_BIOME
    {
    	super(Your biome.builder config stuff);
      	// THIS IS WHAT YOU USE
      	this.addFeature(
          	Decoration.VEGETAL_DECORATION, 
          	Biome.createDecoratedFeature(
        		MyFeatures.CUSTOM_TREE, 
          		IFeatureConfig.NO_FEATURE_CONFIG, 
          		Placement.COUNT_EXTRA_HEIGHTMAP, 
          		new AtSurfaceWithExtraConfig(0.4F, 10, 1));
    }
}

or, if you want to add it to a biome that already exists (a vanilla biome)

for (Biome biome : ForgeRegistries.BIOMES) 
{
        biome.addFeature(
                Decoration.VEGETAL_DECORATION,
                Biome.createDecoratedFeature(
                        MyFeatures.CUSTOM_TREE,
                        IFeatureConfig.NO_FEATURE_CONFIG,
                        Placement.COUNT_EXTRA_HEIGHTMAP,
                        new AtSurfaceWithExtraConfig(0.4F, 10, 1))
        );
}

This code would go in your main mod file, under the FMLCommonSetupEvent (you probably called it init or something similar)

Edited by ZippyMagician

10 hours ago, ZippyMagician said:

public static AbstractTreeFeature<NoFeatureConfig> CUSTOM_TREE = new CustomTree();

This isn't correct. You need to register this which means that it must not be statically initialized and initialized in the Register<Feature> event you have.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.