Open container with server side only

rept1d

It's commonly known that chest-based menus are popular on vanilla servers. Therefore it should be possible to do the same thing using forge without client side.

If someone doesn't know what these menus are: they're kinda "virtual" chests opened by a command or item right click, containing immovable items, that cause some actions when left/right clicking on them.

What is needed there is: creating an inventory (container) with items in some slots; handling left/right clicks on these items in order to prevent any movements and do some actions instead; ability to send the menu to client.

I was trying to do so, but was unsuccessful. What exactly did i try is overriding some methods in custom containers/slots.

How can I achieve that? Thank you.

Edited by rept1d

28 minutes ago, rept1d said:

How can I achieve that? Thank you.

So the way containers are opened are as follows.

1. Server opens container on the server side.
  2. Server sends packet to client requesting container/gui to open. 
  3. Client opens container/gui.
  4. Somewhere along the lines it syncs the container contents.

You'll have to find the vanilla methods that open a chest on the server and then sync up the client. From there implement your own Container, but keep in mind you'll have to sync the container everytime the player tries to remove something that they can't remove. Otherwise ghost items.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

14 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

So the way containers are opened are as follows.

1. Server opens container on the server side.
  2. Server sends packet to client requesting container/gui to open. 
  3. Client opens container/gui.
  4. Somewhere along the lines it syncs the container contents.

You'll have to find the vanilla methods that open a chest on the server and then sync up the client. From there implement your own Container, but keep in mind you'll have to sync the container everytime the player tries to remove something that they can't remove. Otherwise ghost items.

It's not a big problem to send a container to the player.
The problem is that I don't know how to properly prevent any item movements (without custom GuiScreen).
Overriding Slot.canTakeStack, Container.slotClick and Container.transferStackInSlot results in ghost items, that you was talking about.

This is how i display menu to a player (kinda copy-pasted from EntityPlayerMP.displayGUIChest, but allows me to pass my custom container)

Spoiler

public void displayMenu(EntityPlayerMP player, ContainerMenu menu)
{
    if (player.openContainer != player.inventoryContainer)
    {
        player.closeScreen();
    }

player.getNextWindowId();

player.connection.sendPacket(new SPacketOpenWindow(player.currentWindowId, "minecraft:container", menu.inventory.getDisplayName(), menu.inventory.getSizeInventory()));
    player.openContainer = menu;

player.openContainer.windowId = player.currentWindowId;
    player.openContainer.addListener(player);
    net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.post(new net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerContainerEvent.Open(player, player.openContainer));
}

However I still can't understand how to avoid the ghost items.

Edited by rept1d

3 hours ago, rept1d said:

However I still can't understand how to avoid the ghost items.

EntityPlayerMP#sendContainerToPlayer after every click you change the default behavior of.

Edited by Animefan8888
  • Like 1

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

1 hour ago, Animefan8888 said:

EntityPlayer#sendContainerToPlayer after every click you change the default behavior of.

Well, that fixed Q (dropping the item):

Spoiler

@Override
public ItemStack slotClick(int slotId, int dragType, ClickType clickTypeIn, EntityPlayer player)
{
    ((EntityPlayerMP) player).sendContainerToPlayer(this);
    return ItemStack.EMPTY;
}

However shift clicking still causes ghost items. Do i need to remember player's own inventory and replace it back on every click?

2 minutes ago, rept1d said:

However shift clicking still causes ghost items.

Shift clicking has a different method entirely. Container#transferStackInSlot.

4 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Shift clicking has a different method entirely. Container#transferStackInSlot.

Container#transferStackInSlot cannot be called if i override Container#slotClick without calling super.slotClick
Edit: technically it can, but is never called

Edited by rept1d

9 minutes ago, rept1d said:

Do i need to remember player's own inventory and replace it back on every click?

No the container remember the inventory. Then EntityPlayerMP#sendContainerToPlayer will update said information based on what the server said. I'm not sure what your problem is I have 0.something similar in some code of mine that works perfectly, though I don't just deny slotClick(aka I do call the super in it).

15 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

No the container remember the inventory. Then EntityPlayerMP#sendContainerToPlayer will update said information based on what the server said. I'm not sure what your problem is I have 0.something similar in some code of mine that works perfectly, though I don't just deny slotClick(aka I do call the super in it).

Finally. What has helped me is extending ContainerChest instead of Container.
Thank you for your help.
I would like this thread not to be closed yet in case i will have any more questions.

Just now, rept1d said:

I would like this thread not to be closed yet in case i will have any more questions.

Threads aren't closed under normal circumstances. They are only closed when things go awry, like necro-ing and on versions where support isn't offered anymore. Namely 1.8.9 and 1.7.10.

One more question has appeared.

Is it possible to simplify this code?

On 10/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, rept1d said:
Spoiler

public void displayMenu(EntityPlayerMP player, ContainerMenu menu)
{
    if (player.openContainer != player.inventoryContainer)
    {
        player.closeScreen();
    }

player.getNextWindowId();

player.connection.sendPacket(new SPacketOpenWindow(player.currentWindowId, "minecraft:container", menu.inventory.getDisplayName(), menu.inventory.getSizeInventory()));
    player.openContainer = menu;

player.openContainer.windowId = player.currentWindowId;
    player.openContainer.addListener(player);
    net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.post(new net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerContainerEvent.Open(player, player.openContainer));
}

It's basically copy-pasted from EntityPlayerMP#displayGUIChest implementation, but it allows me to pass my custom Container to the client. Is there an existing method to do the same?
P.S. Reminding that the mod should me server-sided only.

Edited by rept1d