[1.14.4] Loading custom files on a server during setup

Slashking

Hello everyone, I essentially built a custom file format for loading in structures for a mod of mine. It is all working fine and dandy, atleast on the client side of things. I have problems on servers though.

On a client, I simply use

ResourceLocation loc = new ResourceLocation("instahouses:blueprint/example.bp");
 InputStream in;
 try {

in =Minecraft.getInstance().getResourceManager().getResource(loc).getInputStream();

}

in the "private void setup(final FMLCommonSetupEvent event)" block. This works absolutely as expected and I can then utilize the InputStream for my needs.

I found out, that I will have to (probably) use

ServerLifecycleHooks.getCurrentServer().getResourceManager().getResource(loc).getInputStream();

Instead of the Minecraft.getInstance() code above for loading on servers. Nothing I tried worked properly though.

My current setup is this: In setup, I check whether I am on a Dist.CLIENT, and incase this is true I load the files using Minecraft.getInstance()...

I now have created this for servers:

public void dedicatedServerSetup(FMLDedicatedServerSetupEvent event) {
		 ResourceLocation loc = new ResourceLocation("instahouses:blueprint/example.bp");
			InputStream in;

try {
				in =ServerLifecycleHooks.getCurrentServer().getResourceManager().getResource(loc).getInputStream();
			} catch (IOException e) {
				e.printStackTrace();
			}
}

However if I try to run this on a server, I get the following crash log:

Spoiler

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I just don't know what went wrong :(

Time: 02.10.19 20:48
Description: Exception in server tick loop

net.minecraftforge.fml.LoadingFailedException: null
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.dispatchAndHandleError(ModLoader.java:198) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.ModLoader.loadMods(ModLoader.java:154) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.server.ServerModLoader.begin(ServerModLoader.java:46) ~[?:?] {}
	at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:121) ~[?:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B}
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:598) [?:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_221] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --
Details:
	Minecraft Version: 1.14.4
	Minecraft Version ID: 1.14.4
	Operating System: Windows 8.1 (amd64) version 6.3
	Java Version: 1.8.0_221, Oracle Corporation
	Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
	Memory: 523138744 bytes (498 MB) / 1607467008 bytes (1533 MB) up to 3804758016 bytes (3628 MB)
	CPUs: 8
	JVM Flags: 0 total; 
	ModLauncher: 3.2.0+60+b86c1d4
	ModLauncher launch target: fmlserver
	ModLauncher naming: srg
	ModLauncher services: 
		/eventbus-0.10.6-service.jar eventbus PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.14.4-28.0.45.jar object_holder_definalize PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.14.4-28.0.45.jar runtime_enum_extender PLUGINSERVICE 
		/accesstransformers-0.16.0-shadowed.jar accesstransformer PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.14.4-28.0.45.jar capability_inject_definalize PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.14.4-28.0.45.jar runtimedistcleaner PLUGINSERVICE 
		/forge-1.14.4-28.0.45.jar fml TRANSFORMATIONSERVICE 
	FML: 28.0
	Forge: net.minecraftforge:28.0.45
	FML Language Providers: 
		[email protected]
		minecraft@1
	Mod List: 
		instahouses-1.1.jar Slashkings InstaHouses {[email protected] ERROR}
		forge-1.14.4-28.0.45-universal.jar Forge {[email protected] ENQUEUE_IMC}
		forge-1.14.4-28.0.45-server.jar Minecraft {[email protected] ENQUEUE_IMC}
	Data Packs: 
	Is Modded: Definitely; Server brand changed to 'forge'
	Type: Dedicated Server (map_server.txt)

Does anyone know either what I could instead use to load my files, or when during/after setup/or alternatively any other time when the game is still starting up I could properly use ServerLifecycleHooks? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Slashking
Misplaced the crashlog

1 hour ago, Slashking said:

Does anyone know either what I could instead use to load my files, or when during/after setup/or alternatively any other time when the game is still starting up I could properly use ServerLifecycleHooks? Thanks in advance!

Why not use the ServerStartingEvent or ServerStartedEvent. They aren't part of the MOD event bus, but instead the FORGE event bus. They give you access to the MinecraftServer instance which both have a resource manager instance.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

3 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

Why not use the ServerStartingEvent or ServerStartedEvent. They aren't part of the MOD event bus, but instead the FORGE event bus. They give you access to the MinecraftServer instance which both have a resource manager instance.

Alright, I tried this, however I am a bit puzzled now. I think it works, kind of atleast.

First of all, I'm assuming this is the correct way to add my ServerStartedEvent void to the EventBus Listeners, right?

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.addListener(this::dedicatedServerSetup);

Now, it does execute the code, however suddenly I get a file not found exception, even though the client can find the files no problem, using exact same filename and path structure of "modid:foldername/file.extension". Does the ResourceManager work differently in the context of the ServerStartedEvent for some reason? I am assuming so, considering my file is suddenly no longer found (it is located in assets/slashking/instahouses/blueprint/blueprintfile.bp btw, but as I said, on the client I can load all of the files no problem). What kind of path would I give to this Resource Manager to find my files?

1 hour ago, Slashking said:

assets/slashking/instahouses/blueprint/blueprintfile.bp

The server loads the folder data/modid/... as of 1.13. And since your blueprint isnt an asset its data it should be there anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

13 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

The server loads the folder data/modid/... as of 1.13. And since your blueprint isnt an asset its data it should be there anyways.

Thanks a lot, I just tested it and I think this fixed it! But wow, this is some strange stuff and very inconsistent, I assume it is a bug of some kind maybe? On the client my files load absolutely fine from the assets folder, very strange indeed. Well, thanks either way, that should finally fix my problems :)