[SOLVED] [1.15.1] Confused why entityDropItem fire multiple time

kwpugh

Hi All,

Looking for some help here.  I went back to my Udemy Java course and refreshed on the Lists and For each loops to check my thinking, but I am still perplexed.

The block does what I want it to do, EXCEPT that the entityDropItem fires any where from 9-12 times each time I spawn a Zombie to test the block.

Here is my code:

package com.kwpugh.gobber2.blocks;

import java.util.List;
import java.util.Random;

import javax.annotation.Nullable;

import com.kwpugh.gobber2.Gobber2;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockRenderType;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.block.Blocks;
import net.minecraft.block.FireBlock;
import net.minecraft.client.util.ITooltipFlag;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.entity.LivingEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.MobEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.boss.WitherEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.boss.dragon.EnderDragonEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.item.ArmorStandEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.merchant.villager.VillagerEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.merchant.villager.WanderingTraderEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.ElderGuardianEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.GuardianEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.SkeletonEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.SpellcastingIllagerEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.VexEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.VindicatorEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.ZombieEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.ZombiePigmanEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.monster.ZombieVillagerEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.AnimalEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.DolphinEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.IronGolemEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.WaterMobEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerEntity;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.item.Items;
import net.minecraft.util.ActionResultType;
import net.minecraft.util.Hand;
import net.minecraft.util.math.AxisAlignedBB;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockRayTraceResult;
import net.minecraft.util.text.ITextComponent;
import net.minecraft.util.text.StringTextComponent;
import net.minecraft.util.text.TextFormatting;
import net.minecraft.world.IBlockReader;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import net.minecraft.world.server.ServerWorld;
import net.minecraftforge.api.distmarker.Dist;
import net.minecraftforge.api.distmarker.OnlyIn;

public class BlockLooter extends Block
{

public BlockLooter(Properties properties)
	{
		super(properties.func_226896_b_());
	}

int minTickTime = 5;
	int maxTickTime = 20;

//Start it up when placed
	@Override
	public void onBlockAdded(BlockState state, World world, BlockPos pos, BlockState oldState, boolean isMoving)
	{
		world.getPendingBlockTicks().scheduleTick(pos, state.getBlock(), world.rand.nextInt(maxTickTime - minTickTime + 1));
	}

//Start it up if wlaked over
	public void onEntityWalk(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, Entity entityIn)
	{
		BlockState stateIn = worldIn.getBlockState(pos);
		worldIn.getPendingBlockTicks().scheduleTick(pos, stateIn.getBlock(), worldIn.rand.nextInt(maxTickTime - minTickTime + 1));   
	}

//Start it up if right-clicked on
	@Override
	public ActionResultType func_225533_a_(BlockState state, World worldIn, BlockPos pos, PlayerEntity player, Hand handIn, BlockRayTraceResult hit)
	{
		worldIn.getPendingBlockTicks().scheduleTick(pos, state.getBlock(), worldIn.rand.nextInt(maxTickTime - minTickTime + 1));
		player.sendMessage(new StringTextComponent("The Looter is active in a range of 18 blocks"));
		return ActionResultType.SUCCESS;
	}

@Override
	public BlockRenderType getRenderType(BlockState state)
	{
		return BlockRenderType.MODEL;
	}

@Override
	public void func_225534_a_(BlockState state,ServerWorld world, BlockPos pos,  Random random)
	{
		if(!world.isRemote)
		{			   
			int radius = 18;

//Scan the radius for LivingEntity and store in list
			List<Entity> mobs = world.getEntitiesWithinAABB(LivingEntity.class, new AxisAlignedBB(pos.getX() - radius, pos.getY() - radius, pos.getZ() - radius, pos.getX() + radius, pos.getY() + radius, pos.getZ() + radius), e -> (e instanceof LivingEntity));
			for(Entity mob : mobs)
			{
				System.out.println(mob + "," + mobs); //debuging in console

//If a player is within the list, kick start the block
				if(mob instanceof PlayerEntity)
				{
					world.getPendingBlockTicks().scheduleTick(pos, state.getBlock(), random.nextInt(minTickTime));

BlockPos posUp = pos.up();		
					BlockState flaming = ((FireBlock)Blocks.FIRE).getStateForPlacement(world, posUp);
					world.setBlockState(posUp, flaming, 11);
				}

// These types of mobs are excluded 
				if(mob instanceof PlayerEntity ||
						mob instanceof ArmorStandEntity ||
						mob instanceof VillagerEntity || 
						mob instanceof WanderingTraderEntity ||
						mob instanceof AnimalEntity || 
						mob instanceof IronGolemEntity || 
						mob instanceof DolphinEntity ||
						mob instanceof WaterMobEntity ||
						mob instanceof GuardianEntity ||
						mob instanceof ElderGuardianEntity ||
						mob instanceof SpellcastingIllagerEntity ||
						mob instanceof VexEntity ||
						mob instanceof VindicatorEntity ||
						mob instanceof WitherEntity ||
						mob instanceof EnderDragonEntity)
				{
					continue;
				}

if(mob instanceof ZombiePigmanEntity || mob instanceof ZombieEntity || mob instanceof ZombieVillagerEntity)
				{
					((MobEntity) mob).spawnExplosionParticle();
					((LivingEntity) mob).setHealth(0);
					mob.entityDropItem(Items.GOLD_NUGGET,1);
					Gobber2.logger.info("drop executed for " + mob + "," + " values of mobs " + mobs);		
				}
		   }
	   }
   }

@OnlyIn(Dist.CLIENT)
	public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, @Nullable IBlockReader world, List<ITextComponent> tooltip, ITooltipFlag flag)
	{
		super.addInformation(stack, world, tooltip, flag);				
		tooltip.add(new StringTextComponent(TextFormatting.BLUE + "The Looter "));
		tooltip.add(new StringTextComponent(TextFormatting.GREEN + "Range: 18 blocks"));
	}
}

I have been going through this for hours, trying different things to no avail.   Help please.

Regards.

1) Your "these mobs are excluded" block is irrelevant. You only care about players and zombies, which you have blocks for. Any entity that is not those things does nothing already, there's no reason to grab everything else (you're not grabbing mod added entities for instance!) and skipping them is pointless.

2) ZombiePigman extends Zombie, so that check is extraneous as well.

3) You're setting mob's health to zero, but the entity is not immediately made dead and removed for at least the next tick, but you aren't checking to make sure that the mob is still alive before doing your thing.

4) TranslationTextComponent (and applyTextStyle(...)) exists. Use it.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

13 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

1) Your "these mobs are excluded" block is irrelevant. You only care about players and zombies, which you have blocks for. Any entity that is not those things does nothing already, there's no reason to grab everything else (you're not grabbing mod added entities for instance!) and skipping them is pointless.

2) ZombiePigman extends Zombie, so that check is extraneous as well.

3) You're setting mob's health to zero, but the entity is not immediately made dead and removed for at least the next tick, but you aren't checking to make sure that the mob is still alive before doing your thing.

4) TranslationTextComponent exists. Use it.

1) Good point, that is code that I will delete

2) ditto

3) I did not know it was not immediate.  In 1.12.2 I had used  ((EntityLivingBase) entity).setDead();  which had worked fine, but appears gone in 1.15.1.  Also, see code snippet for how I had tried to check if it was alive before doing the drop.   That did not work.

4.) I'll take a look at the TranslationTextComponent.

if(mob instanceof ZombiePigmanEntity || mob instanceof ZombieEntity || mob instanceof ZombieVillagerEntity)
				{
					if(!mob.isAlive())
					{
						Gobber2.logger.info("drop executed for " + mob + "," + " values of mobs " + mobs);	
					}

}

I was going back through the Entity.class to look for other options.   I found remove(boolean).

This code does what I need, but is it the intended usage of remove(boolean)?

if(mob instanceof ZombieEntity || mob instanceof ZombieVillagerEntity)
				{
					mob.remove(true);
				}

36 minutes ago, kwpugh said:

if(!mob.isAlive()) { ... }

isAlive is going to return false if the mob's health is zero...

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• kwpugh changed the title to [SOLVED] [1.15.1] Confused why entityDropItem fire multiple time