[API]Custom tile entity packet code broken

Ivorius

Yo.

So, in 1.5 or so Minecraft introduced a generic tile entity data packet type (finally, yaaay).

However, Forge overrides it, so all my ML mods using this piece of code can't sync their data. This is not a problem in vanilla yet. It might become so, though, since they did implement it, and when did they ever implement code for mods before...? x)

Okay, since vanilla code posting is not allowed, the code I'm talking about is in NetClientHandler, in handleTileEntityData(Packet132TileEntityData).

If the actionType equals 255, it gets the custom param 1 (an NBTTagCompound), and extracts the string under value 'ID'. If this equals the registered Tile Entity ID, the tile entity data gets applied (it's a validity >> delay check).

So yeah, in Forge, my packets never arrive the clients. This fucks up some logic and rendering, and thus renders the mods incompatible.

This should be the case because Forge removes this feature [though I didn't specifically check].

I would be glad if someone could fix this one.

Thanks in advance,

~Ivorius

[edit: Used builds universal-1.5.2-7.8.0.700 and down]

Minecraft does not use packet 132 for generic callbacks it is very much a specialized callback for vanilla tile entities {In particular MobSpawner, CommandBlock, Beacon and Skull.

Forge adds a generic callback:

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/master/patches/minecraft/net/minecraft/client/multiplayer/NetClientHandler.java.patch#L41

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Ah, I see it is not a vanilla feature now, but rather a ModLoader one.

I'd still love for Forge to pick up this feature, though, because with FML you do aim for full ML mod compatibility, and this is most definitely a missing feature. =)

You'd have to provide cpw a mod that works on ModLoader but doesn't work on FML.

FML is a clean room implementation, which means he only implements the documented features of ModLoader.

Either way, i'd advise moving to Forge directly as we can not garentee ModLoader compatibility for to much longer.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon