[1.15] Question about Recipes and Advancements

I only just noticed the existence of a whole sub-folder full of recipe advancements. Having added plenty of custom recipes which apparently work just fine, I am now wondering if it's essential to create recipe advancements for them all too - is it functionally required or does it just have some effect on the recipe book? Also, why do all the recipe advancements for complex, multi-item recipes unlock depending only on a single ingredient?

1 hour ago, Fluorescent Flamingo said:

[...] if it's essential to create recipe advancements for them all too - is it functionally required or does it just have some effect on the recipe book? [...]

You are correct. It is not required to create advancements for your recipes but if you do so you can control when the recipe appears in the recipe book. Look at the vanilla json files for examples.

1 hour ago, Fluorescent Flamingo said:

[..] Also, why do all the recipe advancements for complex, multi-item recipes unlock depending only on a single ingredient?

I guess reasons of simplicity? Because - correct me if I'm wrong - you can only check for a single item so let's say for the enchantment table you could only say "if you get obisidian OR a diamond you unlock the advancement".

Edited by Boy132