Minecraft Forge File Paths

TuxCraft

I want the mod I'm making to be very customizable by the user so when it loads I want it to check and if a file is present it will do something. I know I could use a config file to do something similar but I'd like to do something on a larger scale.  What would the correct file path be to find the files I want to check?

If I knew that I could then use something like this...

File f = new File("minecraft/forge/where/do/I/go");

if(f.exists()) {  }   

Does it start at the .minecraft folder and then go up? Is it different between the forge eclipse environment and actual game running environment? Also could I make it relative to the minecraft forge mods folder, that would be the easiest way because I can easily find my way from there.

And one more thing, will it have to go through all the steps to get to the %appdata% folder because I know that varies from computer to computer and if your using a launcher or not.

So if I had a setup like this...

modName > modDeveloper > folderA > folderB

And folderA contained fileA and folderB contained fileB

And fileA was testing for fileB I'd do this...

File f = new File("/modDeveloper/folderA/fileB.class");

So should that work in both the eclipse and normal environment? I tried using a .png so I didn't have to worry about the .class or .java difference and set it up pretty similar to my example but it didn't work. Another issue is that I'm using a folder instead of a .jar, would that make a difference?

It is. I did a little trial and error so I went into one of my render files for one of my projectiles and right under the load texture I pasted the whole new file f deal and cope the file path exactly, when I ran mine craft the console told me f.exists = false. So that leads me to believe there is something in the mine craft code that adds something to the beginning of the file path, I did a little digging and couldn't find anything. I'll try looking a little harder and looking at how the Item and Block file paths work but I'm not sure if I'll find what I'm looking for there.

Would there be a way to mimic the loadTexture code from rendering, turn it into a boolean value (If no texture is available false, if there is true) and put it in my core file. I would only be able to check images but that should still be fine.