Disable Vanilla Nether Portal Creation Mechanic

tinytim0

I've been following tutorials to start modding in 1.16.3 but they don't go this far yet. Is there a way to disable the vanilla nether portal within my mod? I have a different mechanic in mind I would like to try, but I need the vanilla nether portal creation to be disabled. Is there anywhere I can look for further information? I'm new to Java, but I'm a quick study and I'm not new to programming.

For more detail, the final product that I'd like to end with is that I'd like the nether portal only to activate if there are 2 redstone dust set on the top part of the bottom 2 obsidian blocks in the portal as in the first image below. Then lighting it up activates the portal.

Really, the redstone dust just needs to line the bottom of the portal regardless of the size of the portal.

Thank you kindly

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.11.47 PM.png

Edited by tinytim0