Trouble getting Forge to work on server

TimJSwan

I have a mac. I used jar xf and jar uf commands to extract the classes from minecraft_server.jar and for compressing them back with the forge files copied in. I tried this by dragging and dropping them in to mix them, and, in case their order was being mixed up, I also tried using jar xf command after renaming the forge zip into a jar. Neither way works. Every time, somehow, when I go to actually run my minecraft_server.jar it cannot run and the terminal says "Invalid or corrupt jarfile minecraft_server.jar" I did not delete META_INF as is stated in the directions for the server. However, I even tried deleting that after dragging and dropping the forge files in case that would work. Single player with forge works fine for me. I downloaded the latest server from minecraft.net and I used the latest recommended download of forge universal. If you can diagnose what the issue is, please let me know. Thanks!

Dont do anything fancy

Just run the downloaded universal zip as a jar

java -jar minecraftforge-universal.zip

As long as minecraft_server.jar is in the same folder it'll run.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon