Forge and the new Minecraft Launcher (Minecraft 1.6+)

Gorstavich

Morning all,

Was wondering, are there any plans to move the coremods and mods folders from the general Minecraft installation directory to the new versions sub-folders?

Example of new location:

.minecraft

_ versions

_ _ 1.5.2

_ _ _ coremods

_ _ _ mods

I ask because I would like the ability to utilize the new version selection system in order to create multiple custom modpacks.  As it is right now, in addition to multiple vanilla versions of the game I can create/use one custom modpack.  If I create a second, however, it's going to try and load all the mods from the first one as well since the system doesn't have a way (that I know of at least) to differentiate between the two packs (they are sharing the same coremods / mods folders).

"ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!"

We have plans for working with the new client structure yes.

Profiles will have a --userDir not sure where they are going to stick it but it should be good.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Now that we are facing great changes with Minecraft and Forge, i would like to suggest changes in the modloader system.

For example: Would be possible to organize mods in two groups named client-mods and content-mods?

The client-mods would be loaded with the client load itself, but, the content-mods would be loaded upon connecting to a server (a online server or the local one used by singleplayer). Also, the content-mods's config would be stored in per-server folders.

This way, your mod's config used in singleplayer wouldn't be replaced if you want to play in a online modded server.

See ya!

P.D: Obviously, mod developers would need to set in the mcinfo file a new field, indicating if the mod is a client mod or a content mod.

By default, every mod without this metadata would be recognized as a client-mod.

Thats nopt going to happen. Unless we completely drop everything related to ModLoader. And force modders to re-write all of there mods to allow for a load/unload/delayed-load system then ya.. not gunna happen.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Thank you for the update, LexManos.  I look forward to seeing it (in whatever shape is may come in).  :)

That thank was accident. I meant to thank LexManos for that info..

Other than that. I think that would be a really important feature for forge. Even modloader should move to it too.

Only way I can see is to set the install path of 1.5.2 to something other than the default install path. I don't know if Forge will accept that distinction, however (I haven't tried). And I have yet to get the above solution to work with anything else.