[SOLVED] Problem with Havvy's Basic Blocks tutorial

MetalHead

Basic blocks and items... I remember my first item :D The best part about simple items/blocks is making the texture for it, thats really the best bit. Once you get into making the blocks and items do stuff... Wow!! It's so much fun!

Yeah, we did that tonight with the kids, just seeing that they could make a texture and import it in MC, they thought it was the coolest thing!

Speaking of: can anyone recommend a good website / book on (basic  ;)) java? Up to date? Other good modding tutorials than Forge's? Thanks.

This page has some good stuff for beginners: https://netbeans.org/kb/articles/learn-java.html

It's more exciting stuff that Oracle's reference pages for Java.

Only problem with that is that its netbeans... Some of the stuff (probably not the basics though) won't apply because I am pretty sure MetalHead is using Eclipse. But that still looks like it could be quite good. Thanks for the future reference!

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Your welcome. Just in case you haven't quite gotten this yet... If your not having fun, try something different. There are many, MANY different things to do when it comes to modding. Items with abilities and such are just a scratch on the surface. So once again, HAVE FUN!!! :D

Oh I am. Just being able to toy with textures is pretty cool. I'll try to mess with block and items properties this week-ends to create some new ones. One thing that one day I'd like to mess with would be to make something like http://www.wallpaperpimper.com/wallpaper/Anime_&_Manga/Goldorak/Goldorak-1-AHBI38RC77-1024x768.jpg in MC. Complete with shooting fists and stuff... that'd be unreal. But it'll take a while...  ;D

Hmm... Shooting fists eh? I wonder... I might play around with that idea later :D

Have fun with that! That does look like it would awesome fun to play as well :D

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Yeah, the cartoons are old and cheesy as all hell (80's stuff and all... what can I say, I was young then and I loved that stuff... I'm sure you can find some stuff on youtube if you're interested). But the concept never gets old! He shoots lightning through his horns (no idea who gave them to him...  ;D) and can make some sort of hatchets from the stuff on his shoulders...

Same here mate! :D

The funy thing is I learned a lot of java code from modding before I even know any java.

Some people will frown at that.  ;) You should learn it BEFORE you start, don't you know?!  ;D

I Tried that did not work had no resaion to learn it.

I'm doing the same thing. I knew some very basic java before I started (A few terms and a "Hello World!", as well as some of the Bukkit API). I don't exactly know it inside-out but I do know quite a bit more now. Yeah, it probably takes longer to learn, but I'm having more fun this way :)

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

learn to code man .. these errors are pretty straightfoward you dont need a degree in software enginering to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it

Many people are coming to these forums and learning java through Minecraft. Thats one of many reasons why Minecraft is a huge deal in indie gaming. Its a learning tool to get people motivated.

And then there are people like you. They come trolling around forums like this meant to help new people and vets alike. If you don't want to help the new people, and you just want to sit there casting them down pretending youre teaching them some hard lesson instead of actually helping, do everyone a favor and please, shut the fuck up. Also, learn to spell "engineering" before you cast your better than you BS down on someone asking for direction in the community.