Problem with trying to launch Forge installer 1.6.2

Right, so, I'm probably missing something very basic, but I'm unable to launch the installer jar. I've set my opening program to Java SE Binary, by setting it to java.exe or javaw.exe in the program files and the ones in the windows/sys32 directory. Each one just causes a cmd window to pop up for less than a second and then closes without further action. I'm using Win8 and 64bit Java... anyone know what's up?

dont know about windows 8, but on other windows versions Java usually gets installed into the program files/java folder when you download the latest version. It's in there, in the bin folder, the Java.exe which should be the association. I just download the installer for forge, right click and select open.

• 1 month later...

Sometimes windows does not find the starting class. So does mine.

You can start the installer for build 845 with this command:

java -cp minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.0.845.jar cpw.mods.fml.installer.SimpleInstaller

The starting class "cpw.mods.fml.installer.SimpleInstaller" can be found in the META-INF folder in MANIFEST.MF.