Damage on passing through enemy

GravityWolf

I know this is a very, VERY, complicated request, but you would definitely go in the credits of my mod.

Alright, so I have this sword, and when you right click, it makes you zoom in the direction (Thank you, hydroflame!). Now, this is the part that might make you rip out your hair and scream just thinking about. When you zoom through an enemy, I want it to do damage. About 4 hearts of damage would do. If you would do this, I would be ever so grateful. And you would get applause :3 Thank you SO much if you do this!

Here is the onItemRightClick event:

@Override
public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStack, World world, EntityPlayer player) {

player.motionY = 0.7;
	double calculatedX = 5 * (double) (-MathHelper.sin(player.rotationYaw/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI)* MathHelper.cos(player.rotationPitch / 180.0F* (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	double calculatedZ = 5 * (double) (MathHelper.cos(player.rotationYaw	/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI)* MathHelper.cos(player.rotationPitch / 180.0F* (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	double calculatedY = 5 * (double) (-MathHelper.sin((player.rotationPitch)/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	player.motionY = calculatedY;
	player.motionX = calculatedX;
	player.motionZ = calculatedZ;
	player.fallDistance = 0.0f;

return itemStack;

}

can probably do this in the onUpdate(...) method I showed you earlier.

@Override
public void onUpdate(ItemStack stack, World world,
		Entity entity, int par4, boolean par5) {
	super.onUpdate(stack, world, entity, par4, par5);
	entity.fallDistance = 0;

double x = entity.posX, y = entity.posY, z = entity.posZ;

if(!(entity instanceof EntityPlayer)||entity.motionX*entity.motionX + entity.motionY*entity.motionY + entity.motionZ*entity.motionZ < 0.01)/*you may want to play with this number*/
		return;

AxisAlignedBB box =  AxisAlignedBB.getBoundingBox(x - 0.5D, y-1.0D, z-0.5D, x + 0.5D, y+1.0D, z+0.5D);
	List<Entity> entList = world.getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity(null, box);

for(Entity ent: entList)
	{
		if(ent instanceof EntityLiving)
		{
			/*may need an if(!world.isRemote) here*/
			((EntityLiving)ent).attackEntityFrom(DamageSource.causePlayerDamage((EntityPlayer)entity), 1);
		}
	}
}

I check for speed to see if the player is dashing, as it seems easier. Alternatively you could do a boolean which is true when you initiate the dash then sets to false after so many ticks (set this to false here too, would have to be done as NBT data on the itemStack)

can probably do this in the onUpdate(...) method I showed you earlier.

-snip-

I check for speed to see if the player is dashing, as it seems easier. Alternatively you could do a boolean which is true when you initiate the dash then sets to false after so many ticks (set this to false here too, would have to be done as NBT data on the itemStack)

Thank you very much! There is one bug that I have found though, and didn't realize with your fall-damage negating method too.

I want it so only if you have the item selected in your hotbar, then it negates fall damage/deals damage when touching. Currently, even when you don't have it selected, it still does damage. Also, it does damage when you are just walking. And question, what is the  method (ex. onUpdate) for dashing? Thank you!

glad you got it to work :D

assuming you still have the bug with fall damage, just change the code to the following (just an extra if)

@Override
	entity.fallDistance = 0;

if(!(entity instanceof EntityPlayer)||entity.motionX*entity.motionX + entity.motionY*entity.motionY + entity.motionZ*entity.motionZ < 0.01)/*you may want to play with this number*/
		return;

//ADD THIS LINE HERE
	if(((EntityPlayer)entity).getItemInUse() != stack) return;

AxisAlignedBB box =  AxisAlignedBB.getBoundingBox(x - 0.5D, y-1.0D, z-0.5D, x + 0.5D, y+1.0D, z+0.5D);

{
		{
			((EntityLiving)ent).attackEntityFrom(DamageSource.causePlayerDamage((EntityPlayer)entity), 1);
		}
	}

}

sorry was a bit sleepy when I first wrote that last night :P

glad you got it to work :D

assuming you still have the bug with fall damage, just change the code to the following (just an extra if)

@Override
	entity.fallDistance = 0;

return;

//ADD THIS LINE HERE
	if(((EntityPlayer)entity).getItemInUse() != stack) return;

{
		{
		}
	}

}

sorry was a bit sleepy when I first wrote that last night :P

Hmm...when I add that, it doesn't fix fall damage, and it removes the Damage on going through enemy effect...kinda strange O.o

Remove my bit for the fall damage, and the thingy I did to negate it. Use a LivingFallEvent instead as diesieben07 said to do in your other post for that, It's a much better way to do it... but for some reason I always forget that event exists  :P

The rest of what I gave you should be fine.

Remove my bit for the fall damage, and the thingy I did to negate it. Use a LivingFallEvent instead as diesieben07 said to do in your other post for that, It's a much better way to do it... but for some reason I always forget that event exists  :P

The rest of what I gave you should be fine.

Alright, so how would I do this? Sorry for my epic noobishness. xD

I'm not sure how I would subscribe to LivingFallEvent, but this is what I tried:

public float LivingFallEvent;

Then, in "onUpdate", I would do something similar to:

LivingFallEvent = 0.0f;

I tried it, and it didn't work...where did I fail? xD and thank you for putting up with my noobishness.

ok, I should probably have explained how forge events work.

there are good tutorials here

http://minecraftforgetutorials.weebly.com/event-introduction.html

for an actual working example look at the following

You will want to create a new class, I did mine as a nested class within my item as it seemed logical

(All this is from my testing project, so every thing is a bit silly as it's not public :P )

This is the item class, there's a lot of extra stuff in there, all you're interested in it the public static class at the bottom

package mods.gaspoweredstick.code.item;

import java.util.List;

import mods.gaspoweredstick.code.common.Config;
import mods.gaspoweredstick.code.common.GasPoweredStick;
import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IconRegister;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving;
import net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumToolMaterial;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraft.util.AxisAlignedBB;
import net.minecraft.util.DamageSource;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import net.minecraftforge.common.EnumHelper;
import net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeSubscribe;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.living.LivingFallEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

public class Stick extends ItemSword
{
public static final EnumToolMaterial STICK = EnumHelper
		.addToolMaterial("STICK", 1, 60, 1, 9, 20);

public static final EnumToolMaterial STICK2 = EnumHelper
		.addToolMaterial("STICK2", 3, 1000, 10, 18, 42);

public Stick(int par1, EnumToolMaterial par2EnumToolMaterial)
{
	super(par1, par2EnumToolMaterial);
	this.hasSubtypes = !Config.infinate;
}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister iconRegister)
{
	this.itemIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon("stick");
}

public boolean hitEntity(ItemStack par1ItemStack, EntityLiving par2EntityLiving, EntityLiving par3EntityLiving)
    {	if(!Config.infinate)
        	par1ItemStack.damageItem(1, par3EntityLiving);
        return true;
    }

public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, int par3, int par4, int par5, int par6, EntityLiving par7EntityLiving)
    {
        if ((double)Block.blocksList[par3].getBlockHardness(par2World, par4, par5, par6) != 0.0D)
        {
        	if(!Config.infinate)
            	par1ItemStack.damageItem(2, par7EntityLiving);
        }

return true;
    }

@Override
public boolean getIsRepairable(ItemStack stack1,
		ItemStack stack2)
{
	return (stack1.getItem()==GasPoweredStick.stick && stack2.getItem()==Item.stick)
			|| (stack1.getItem()==GasPoweredStick.gasStick && stack2.getItem()==Item.ghastTear);
}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, List list, boolean par4)
{
	if(this == GasPoweredStick.gasStick)
		list.add("Never runs out of ghast!");
}

@Override

return;

if(((EntityPlayer)entity).getItemInUse() != stack)
		return;

{
		{
		}
	}

}

public static class StickFallEvent
{
	@ForgeSubscribe
	public void fallEvent(LivingFallEvent evt)
	{
		EntityLivingBase player =  evt.entityLiving;

ItemStack stack = player.getHeldItem();
		if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == GasPoweredStick.gasStick)
			evt.setCanceled(true);
	}

}

}

then in your main mod file do the following

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new Stick.StickFallEvent());

and congrats, your first forge event :D

and we're all noobs at some point so don't feel bad about it, at least you seem like you're trying to learn and having a go at things yourself, unlike some people here.

<pro tip and trick>yagoki is right btw, some people expect us to just give an answer that they can copy paste, if you wanna learn a maximum its ok to copy paste, but make sure you understand what every statement does (a statement is from one ";" to another

if you understand why/what/how its working, then you're good to go because if theres a problem you probably understand why/where its bugging and usually you can fix it without asking here. if you look a bit on the forum you realise that theres not a lot of very complex question, thats because "pros/expert" can deal with ANY problem by themselves (im not saying if you post here you're a noob, I'm just saying usually when you're good you can fix almost everything yourself)</pro tip and trick>

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

<pro tip and trick>yagoki is right btw, some people expect us to just give an answer that they can copy paste, if you wanna learn a maximum its ok to copy paste, but make sure you understand what every statement does (a statement is from one ";" to another

if you understand why/what/how its working, then you're good to go because if theres a problem you probably understand why/where its bugging and usually you can fix it without asking here. if you look a bit on the forum you realise that theres not a lot of very complex question, thats because "pros/expert" can deal with ANY problem by themselves (im not saying if you post here you're a noob, I'm just saying usually when you're good you can fix almost everything yourself)</pro tip and trick>

I wasn't aware that <pro tip and trick> was a proper HTML format thingy :P ^^^ all true stuff

ok, I should probably have explained how forge events work.

there are good tutorials here

http://minecraftforgetutorials.weebly.com/event-introduction.html

for an actual working example look at the following

You will want to create a new class, I did mine as a nested class within my item as it seemed logical

(All this is from my testing project, so every thing is a bit silly as it's not public :P )

This is the item class, there's a lot of extra stuff in there, all you're interested in it the public static class at the bottom

package mods.gaspoweredstick.code.item;

import java.util.List;

import mods.gaspoweredstick.code.common.Config;
import mods.gaspoweredstick.code.common.GasPoweredStick;
import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.item.EnumToolMaterial;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSword;
import net.minecraftforge.common.EnumHelper;

public class Stick extends ItemSword
{
public static final EnumToolMaterial STICK = EnumHelper
		.addToolMaterial("STICK", 1, 60, 1, 9, 20);

public static final EnumToolMaterial STICK2 = EnumHelper
		.addToolMaterial("STICK2", 3, 1000, 10, 18, 42);

public Stick(int par1, EnumToolMaterial par2EnumToolMaterial)
{
	super(par1, par2EnumToolMaterial);
	this.hasSubtypes = !Config.infinate;
}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister iconRegister)
{
	this.itemIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon("stick");
}

public boolean hitEntity(ItemStack par1ItemStack, EntityLiving par2EntityLiving, EntityLiving par3EntityLiving)
    {	if(!Config.infinate)
        	par1ItemStack.damageItem(1, par3EntityLiving);
        return true;
    }

public boolean onBlockDestroyed(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, int par3, int par4, int par5, int par6, EntityLiving par7EntityLiving)
    {
        if ((double)Block.blocksList[par3].getBlockHardness(par2World, par4, par5, par6) != 0.0D)
        {
        	if(!Config.infinate)
            	par1ItemStack.damageItem(2, par7EntityLiving);
        }

return true;
    }

@Override
public boolean getIsRepairable(ItemStack stack1,
		ItemStack stack2)
{
	return (stack1.getItem()==GasPoweredStick.stick && stack2.getItem()==Item.stick)
			|| (stack1.getItem()==GasPoweredStick.gasStick && stack2.getItem()==Item.ghastTear);
}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, List list, boolean par4)
{
	if(this == GasPoweredStick.gasStick)
		list.add("Never runs out of ghast!");
}

@Override

return;

if(((EntityPlayer)entity).getItemInUse() != stack)
		return;

{
		{
		}
	}

}

public static class StickFallEvent
{
	@ForgeSubscribe
	public void fallEvent(LivingFallEvent evt)
	{
		EntityLivingBase player =  evt.entityLiving;

evt.setCanceled(true);
	}

}

}

then in your main mod file do the following

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new Stick.StickFallEvent());

and congrats, your first forge event :D

and we're all noobs at some point so don't feel bad about it, at least you seem like you're trying to learn and having a go at things yourself, unlike some people here.

Thank you for the code, and thank you even more for the tutorial! Like you said, I really want to learn things for myself. But there is an issue. It seems that even when the item isn't selected, it still runs the event. I put a system.out.println("Test"); in the event, and every tick I guess, it says "Test" in the console, so that means that it is running always....I changed GasPoweredStick.gasStick to Items.DragonSword (which is where I create all my item variables), and put the MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new DragonSword.DragonFallEvent()); (DragonSword.DragonFallEvent is my event name), so what I am guessing is that it is not only cancelling LivingFallEvent when you are holding the item. I wish I could understand what I could do to fix it, as hydroflame said...xD...and I feel very accomplished that I understand what is going on. xD

The event is called every time you fall, but the if is only canceling the event if the item is held. I did it as a nested class as, in this example, it is a neater way of doing it (in my opinion). you could have quite easily moved the class at the end to a different file and it would do the same thing, just think of a nested class as a class which has a class as its package... wait that makes it sound more confusing... here this explains it better:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/nested.html

<-- I use this site whenever I want to lean something in java that I've heard about, It can be quite useful. (also given that oracle are java it's never incorrect)

The event is called every time you fall, but the if is only canceling the event if the item is held. I did it as a nested class as, in this example, it is a neater way of doing it (in my opinion). you could have quite easily moved the class at the end to a different file and it would do the same thing, just think of a nested class as a class which has a class as its package... wait that makes it sound more confusing... here this explains it better:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/nested.html

<-- I use this site whenever I want to lean something in java that I've heard about, It can be quite useful. (also given that oracle are java it's never incorrect)

I had the system.out.println() after the if statement, which means that it is somehow called even when you're not falling...

If you look at the if statement I created there are no bracers attached to it. This means that the if will only have an effect up to the next ";"

the following two statements do the same thing

evt.setCanceled(true);
System.out.println("Hello World");

//The above is the same as
{
evt.setCanceled(true);
}

it's just a way of making your code a bit neater and easier to read, as there are less bracers all over the place.

If you look at the if statement I created there are no bracers attached to it. This means that the if will only have an effect up to the next ";"

the following two statements do the same thing

evt.setCanceled(true);

//The above is the same as
{
evt.setCanceled(true);
}

it's just a way of making your code a bit neater and easier to read, as there are less bracers all over the place.

Oh ok, now I see why it  kept printing, but still, I don't see why it is always negating fall damage...even when you don't have the item in your inventory, it still removes all fall damage...am I putting it in the wrong init?

did you remember to remove this line from the onUpdate method?

entity.fallDistance = 0;

Yea. Here's some code if it helps:

DragonSword.java

package NoctusRealm.Items;

import java.util.List;

import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;
import net.minecraft.util.MathHelper;
import NoctusRealm.References.IDs;
import NoctusRealm.References.Names;

public class DragonSword extends Item {

public float LivingFallEvent;

public DragonSword(int id) {

super(id);
	this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabCombat);
	this.setUnlocalizedName(Names.DragonSwordUnlocalizedName);
	this.setMaxStackSize(1);

}

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void registerIcons(IconRegister icon) {

itemIcon = icon.registerIcon("nr" + ":" + "dragonsword");

}

public boolean hasEffect(ItemStack itemstack)
{
        return true;
}

@Override
public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStack, World world, EntityPlayer player) {

player.motionY = 0.7;
	double calculatedX = 10 * (double) (-MathHelper.sin(player.rotationYaw/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI)* MathHelper.cos(player.rotationPitch / 180.0F* (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	double calculatedZ = 10 * (double) (MathHelper.cos(player.rotationYaw	/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI)* MathHelper.cos(player.rotationPitch / 180.0F* (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	double calculatedY = 5 * (double) (-MathHelper.sin((player.rotationPitch)/ 180.0F * (float) Math.PI) * 0.4f);
	player.motionY = calculatedY;
	player.motionX = calculatedX;
	player.motionZ = calculatedZ;

return itemStack;

}

@Override
public void onUpdate(ItemStack stack, World world, Entity entity, int par4, boolean par5) {

if(!(entity instanceof EntityPlayer)||entity.motionX*entity.motionX + entity.motionY*entity.motionY + entity.motionZ*entity.motionZ < 0.75)/*you may want to play with this number*/
		return;

{
		{
		}
	}

}

public static class DragonFallEvent
{
	@ForgeSubscribe
	public void fallEvent(LivingFallEvent event)
	{
		EntityLivingBase player =  event.entityLiving;

if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == Items.DragonSword);

event.setCanceled(true);

}

}

}

Items.java

package NoctusRealm.Items;

import NoctusRealm.References.IDs;

import NoctusRealm.References.Names;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.LanguageRegistry;

public class Items {

public static Item DragonSoul;

public static Item DragonWing;

public static Item DragonClaw;

public static Item DragonSword;

public static void init() {

DragonSoul = new DragonSoul(IDs.DragonSoul);

//DragonWing = new DragonWing(IDs.DragonWing);

//DragonClaw = new DragonClaw(IDs.DragonClaw);

DragonSword = new DragonSword(IDs.DragonSword);

}

public static void addNames() {

LanguageRegistry.addName(DragonSoul, Names.DragonSoulName);

LanguageRegistry.addName(DragonSword, Names.DragonSwordName);

}

}

NoctusRealm.java

package NoctusRealm;

import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import NoctusRealm.Items.DragonSword;
import NoctusRealm.Items.Items;
import NoctusRealm.Proxies.CommonProxy;
import NoctusRealm.References.ModInfo;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.EventHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.SidedProxy;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPostInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkMod;

@Mod(modid = ModInfo.ID, name = ModInfo.NAME, version = ModInfo.VERSION)
@NetworkMod(channels = {ModInfo.CHANNEL}, clientSideRequired = true, serverSideRequired = true)

public class NoctusRealm {

@SidedProxy(clientSide = ModInfo.PROXY_LOCATION + ".ClientProxy", serverSide = ModInfo.PROXY_LOCATION + ".CommonProxy")
public static CommonProxy proxy;

@EventHandler
public static void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {

proxy.initRenderers();
	proxy.initSounds();
	System.out.println("Initializing NoctusRealm Server Mod...");
	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new DragonSword.DragonFallEvent());

}

@EventHandler
public static void init(FMLInitializationEvent even) {

Items.init();
	Items.addNames();
	System.out.println("NoctusRealm Server Mod Initialized!");

}

@EventHandler
public static void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) {

}

}

Easy mistake when you didn't understand how that if worked

this is your if statement as you have it:

if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == Items.DragonSword); // this semicolon should not exist

event.setCanceled(true);

so it should look like this.

if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == Items.DragonSword)

event.setCanceled(true);

an if() written like that will end at the first semicolon, so it was effectively empty in the way you had written it.

Easy mistake when you didn't understand how that if worked

this is your if statement as you have it:

if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == Items.DragonSword); // this semicolon should not exist

event.setCanceled(true);

so it should look like this.

if(stack != null && stack.getItem() == Items.DragonSword)

event.setCanceled(true);

an if() written like that will end at the first semicolon, so it was effectively empty in the way you had written it.

Oh, haha, I was just about to post how when I put semicolons instead of a nested class it worked. Thank you, once again! ^_^

Edit: Semicolons? I mean curlybraces.