Possible change in crashes

Zlepper

Can you make crashes caused by item id conflicts a bit more obvious to that those conflicts actually are the reason for the crash?

Reason: I have been having trouble with some conflicts like this for the last few days and only managed to solve it thanks to a helpful modder, who I no doubt managed to annoy.

This was the error i had on crash: http://pastebin.com/NfStQNnk

The problem was some simple item id conflicts, which people will most likely let pass without noticing unless they thoroughly reads their entire log.

I know crashes already happen with block id conflicts, and it's quite easy to tell what the problem is, and where it is.

in other terms: make the crashes on item id conflicts appear the same way as block id conflicts.

No, we can't because various modders are lazy and rely on this non-crashing behavior instead of clearning there slots or checking they they are free.

However, item conflicts ARE logged. So you should be able to find them

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I became aware of that they can be found by searching, I have however never had problems with it causing crashes.

I have no problems with modders being lazy either, it would however help if the crash we got in midgame would actually tell us what the exact problem were, not just that there was a problem.

And i mean state it in a fairly easy way for those who can't understand java error.

In short replace this line:

java.lang.ClassCastException: mithion.arsmagica.items.ArsMagicaItem cannot be cast to buildcraft.transport.ItemPipe

With something like this

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 100 is already occupied by net.minecraft.block.BlockMushroomCap@ad0d2f9 when adding mithion.arsmagica.blocks.BlockArcaneEmpowermentTable@2850fea3

In the last we, us people who are unable to read java, see this: slot 100 was occupied by a block from minecraft, by a block from the ars magica mod.

This we can easily fix, since we are provided with with the most important information.

And sorry, the last part wasn't short at all.

PS. the crash in the last example was caused intentionally, not by the mod from standard.

It's impossible to catch those cast exceptions. And it's impossible for us to know what item overwrites should or should not be crashed on.

There is simply no way to do this.

As a user you need to apply some logic. If it says ItemX can't be cast to ItemY then you can safely assume it's a ID conflict and should search for those in your log.

I'm gunna assume you're not a programmer, but trust me it's not a 'replace this line with that' Thats impssible to do how you want.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon