Rendering an Image into the world[Solved]

Lua

heard someone saying my name

yes you can, but drawTextureModelRectangle does a weird reshape of the texture, so it "works" in gui but in world it would probably look like shit

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

heard someone saying my name

yes you can, but drawTextureModelRectangle does a weird reshape of the texture, so it "works" in gui but in world it would probably look like shit

Is there a way to draw a simple rectangle without an image. Im looking to do a health bar

without an image, no

BUT you can make a 1 pixel by 1 pixel image in *insert your favorite image editor here* (mine is paint.net, different from microsoft paint btw)

and make that a texture in minecraft

next you can load that texture and use tessellator.setColorOpaque(R, G, B) (or any other color altering function)

bind your texture:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.func_xxxx_x(BlankTexture);

set your color

and call this utility method

public static void drawTexturedQuadFit(double x, double y, double width, double height, double zLevel){

Tessellator tessellator = Tessellator.instance;

tessellator.setColorOpaque(255, 255, 255);

tessellator.startDrawingQuads();

tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + 0, y + height, zLevel, 0,1);

tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + width, y + height, zLevel, 1, 1);

tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + width, y + 0, zLevel, 1,0);

tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + 0, y + 0, zLevel, 0, 0);

tessellator.draw();

}

final code:

//in drawing method
mc.renderEngine.func_110577_a(blankTexture);//blankTexture is a ResourceLocation btw
RenderHelper.drawTexturedQuadFit(xPosition, yPosition, height, height, 0);

remember, drawing a width, height of 1, 1 in the minecraft world represent the size of a block,    1x1 in a gui represent 1 pixel

so 100x100 in the world is HUGE but in your gui is like the length of the health bar

Hm, didnt seem to render. Heres the code:

@ForgeSubscribe
public void renderCavemanHealthBar(RenderLivingEvent.Specials.Pre event)
{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();
	GuiIngame gui = mc.ingameGUI;
	if(event.entity instanceof AC_EntityCaveman)
	{

System.out.println("Drawing Rect");

EntityClientPlayerMP player = mc.thePlayer;

double diffX = (event.entity.prevPosX + (event.entity.posX - event.entity.prevPosX)) - (player.prevPosX + (player.posX - player.prevPosX));
		double diffY = (event.entity.prevPosY + (event.entity.posY - event.entity.prevPosY)) - (player.prevPosY + (player.posY - player.prevPosY));
		double diffZ = (event.entity.prevPosZ + (event.entity.posZ - event.entity.prevPosZ)) - (player.prevPosZ + (player.posZ - player.prevPosZ));

GL11.glPushMatrix();
		GL11.glTranslated(diffX, diffY + 3, diffZ);
		GL11.glRotatef(- player.rotationYaw, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);
		GL11.glPushMatrix();

GL11.glRotatef(- 90, 1, 0, 0);//noted 1
		GL11.glTranslated(0, - 1, 0);//noted 2

mc.func_110434_K().func_110577_a(new ResourceLocation(Strings.MOD_ID, "/textures/gui/temperature_bar.png"));
		this.drawTexturedQuadFit(20, 20, 20, 20, 0);
		GL11.glPopMatrix();
		GL11.glPopMatrix();

}
}

public static void drawTexturedQuadFit(double x, double y, double width, double height, double zLevel)
{
	tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + 0, y + height, zLevel, 0, 1);
	tessellator.addVertexWithUV(x + width, y + 0, zLevel, 1, 0);
	tessellator.draw();
}

can you see this in your logs ?

if not that mean its a event register problem

if yes it mean your problem is related to your matrix configuration, ill help you figure out the correct matrix if that's the case

can you see this in your logs ?

if not that mean its a event register problem

if yes it mean your problem is related to your matrix configuration, ill help you figure out the correct matrix if that's the case

Yup it prints, so its a 'matrix' problem

ok, it might take a couple of post, but its going to be fixed in the end

original code

{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();
	GuiIngame gui = mc.ingameGUI;
	{

EntityClientPlayerMP player = mc.thePlayer;

double diffX = (event.entity.prevPosX + (event.entity.posX - event.entity.prevPosX)) - (player.prevPosX + (player.posX - player.prevPosX));
		double diffY = (event.entity.prevPosY + (event.entity.posY - event.entity.prevPosY)) - (player.prevPosY + (player.posY - player.prevPosY));
		double diffZ = (event.entity.prevPosZ + (event.entity.posZ - event.entity.prevPosZ)) - (player.prevPosZ + (player.posZ - player.prevPosZ));

GL11.glPushMatrix();
		GL11.glTranslated(diffX, diffY + 3, diffZ);
		GL11.glRotatef(- player.rotationYaw, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);
		GL11.glPushMatrix();

GL11.glRotatef(- 90, 1, 0, 0);//noted 1
		GL11.glTranslated(0, - 1, 0);//noted 2

mc.func_110434_K().func_110577_a(new ResourceLocation(Strings.MOD_ID, "/textures/gui/temperature_bar.png"));
		this.drawTexturedQuadFit(20, 20, 20, 20, 0);
		GL11.glPopMatrix();
		GL11.glPopMatrix();

}
}

well simplify thsi a little and grow from there

first thing were gonna do is make SURE we are drawing something, so screw the location of it, lets just make sure its rendering

{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();

GL11.glPushMatrix();
		GL11.glRotatef(System.nanoTime()/10000000f, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);//this will make the image rotate, might be too fast or too slow, just add /remove zeros if that the case

this.drawTexturedQuadFit(-1, -1, 2, 2, 0);//this was a bit big and kinof far away from the entity (the 2 first variable are x, y so technicly you were rendering the image 20 block away in x and 20 block away in y
		GL11.glPopMatrix();

}

go in 3rd person, you should see something turning above your head

its not above my head though

is it only off in Y or is it off in XZ too ?

in any case lets re-add the translation to the caveman entity

{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();

GL11.glPushMatrix();

// btw if you look mathematicly at that its
//int a = 5;
//int b = 2;
diffX = a+(b-a) = a+b-a = b 
// since you're not using the partialTick yet you could simply use the event.entity.posX-player.posX and the effect would be the same
GL11.glTranslated(diffX, diffY, diffZ);//translate to the position of the caveman
		GL11.glRotatef(System.nanoTime()/10000000f, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);

this.drawTexturedQuadFit(-1, -1, 2, 2, 0);
		GL11.glPopMatrix();

}

also later i suggest you take a look at my texture guide (go on the wiki and search "hydroflame guide to texture") because the way you are creating your ResourceLocation is bad

anyway, with this code the image should generally be near the caveman and should be rotating

this is just an idea, but do you have a special renderer for your caveman? because if yes you should probably do that there since you have control over it. RenderLivingEvent is for very general things or stuff you cannot normally do because you dont want to touch the source code (in your first thread you refer to another thread, in that one he wanted to render stuff over Villagers  which is a vanilla class and that is why he needed a event for it, in my profile picture i use a RenderLivingEvent too because i dont want to modify vanilla code)

"is it only off in Y or is it off in XZ too ?" Y

"you are creating your ResourceLocation is bad" Why is it bad?

I copied your code but added a check to see if it was the caveman and it didnt render. So I removed that check and the bar was still rotating at the same y

Heres the code

@ForgeSubscribe
{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();
	{
		GL11.glPushMatrix();

double diffX = (event.entity.prevPosX + (event.entity.posX - event.entity.prevPosX)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosX + (mc.thePlayer.posX - mc.thePlayer.prevPosX));
		double diffY = (event.entity.prevPosY + (event.entity.posY - event.entity.prevPosY)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosY + (mc.thePlayer.posY - mc.thePlayer.prevPosY));
		double diffZ = (event.entity.prevPosZ + (event.entity.posZ - event.entity.prevPosZ)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ + (mc.thePlayer.posZ - mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ));
		//btw if you look mathematicly at that its
		//int a = 5;
		//int b = 2;
		//	diffX = a+(b-a) = a+b-a = b 
		//since you're not using the partialTick yet you could simply use the event.entity.posX-player.posX and the effect would be the same
		GL11.glTranslated(diffX, diffY, diffZ);//translate to the position of the caveman
		GL11.glRotatef(System.nanoTime() / 10000000f, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);

this.drawTexturedQuadFit(- 1, - 1, 2, 2, 0);
		GL11.glPopMatrix();
	}
}

@ Your latest reply, I do have a rendercavemen, but what method would I put it in?

"you are creating your ResourceLocation is bad" Why is it bad?

jsut look at my guide later, no big deal but still...

I copied your code but added a check to see if it was the caveman and it didnt render. So I removed that check and the bar was still rotating at the same y

most likely becasue since you removed the caveman check the player you are is also taken into account now so you are renderered with the thing

@ Your latest reply, I do have a rendercavemen, but what method would I put it in?

the main one, or maybe maker a smaller that the main render method would call to keep thing clean

example of a generic entity renderer

@Override

public void doRender(Entity entity, double x, double y, double z, float rot, float partialTick)

{

GL11.glPushMatrix();

GL11.glTranslated(x, y, z);

//maybe more transformation

Minecraft.getMinecraft().renderEngine.func_110577_a(ForgeRevCommonProxy.blankTexture);

model.render();

renderTag(entity);

GL11.glPopMatrix();

}

public void renderTag(Entity entity){

//some move/rotate before

//bind the texture

this.drawTexturedQuadFit(-1, -1, 2, 2, 0);

}

Hm well ive started to do it in here now, lets just continue in there and I can move it later if need by. So what next?

ok but letting you know that it is a bad programming habit...

well you said that the quad was only rendering above your head (or inside you, wtv:P) not above the caveman (or inside him)

what we need to do now is try to figure out a way to configure the openGL matrix at the location of the entity

when you begin the method renderCavemanHealthBar 0, 0, 0 is considered the position of steve eyes

double diffX = (event.entity.prevPosX + (event.entity.posX - event.entity.prevPosX)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosX + (mc.thePlayer.posX - mc.thePlayer.prevPosX));
		double diffY = (event.entity.prevPosY + (event.entity.posY - event.entity.prevPosY)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosY + (mc.thePlayer.posY - mc.thePlayer.prevPosY));
		double diffZ = (event.entity.prevPosZ + (event.entity.posZ - event.entity.prevPosZ)) - (mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ + (mc.thePlayer.posZ - mc.thePlayer.prevPosZ));

these lines are suppose to translate the 0, 0, 0 to the location of the caveman. but basicly it should be translated by "the difference in position between the player and the entity"  try getting very close to the caveman to see if the panel doesnt emerge from somewhere. is the caveman really big meaning it could be tottally inside it ? (and you wouldnt be able to see it)

ah, then all you have to do now is increase the height

and use the proper orientation (so that the image always faces the player)

@ForgeSubscribe

{

mc = mc.getMinecraft();

{

GL11.glPushMatrix();

GL11.glTranslated(diffX, diffY, diffZ);

//GL11.glRotatef(System.nanoTime() / 10000000f, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F); no more of use

GL11.glTranslated(0, 5, 0);//could be 6, 7, 10, 2000, youll have to find the god value yourself

//i highly doubt 2000 is even a good value btw

//its approximatelly the same height as your entity, and a little more

GL11.glRotatef(180.0F - event.entityPlayer.renderYawOffset, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);//this line should make it always face the player, or always away from the player depending on which direction your plane is facing, experiment with it

GL11.glPopMatrix();

}

}

Ok ive got it how i want it. Now you said I could colour it ? What id like is it to be coloured in green which would be its total health then when the health goes down some of the green should be replaced with red depending on how much damage was taken.

ok well first, the method i gave you, youll need to change it, remove every setColorxxx

public static void drawTexturedQuadFit(double x, double y, double width, double height, double zLevel)

{

//tessellator.setColorOpaque(255, 255, 255);

tessellator.draw();

}

because this will force the quad to be white

then when the health goes down some of the green should be replaced with red depending on how much damage was taken.

by some of the green you mean something like

[g][g][g][g][g][r][r][r]

*lose life*

[g][g][g][g][r][r][r][r]

if thats the case you will need to render a lot of quad, openGL can draw as many quad as you want but it wont subseparate them

but basicly to set a color for the quad use

Tessellator.instance.setColorOpaque(R, B, G); //example setColorOpaque(255, 0, 0); for red

and then if you want to render multiple quad (one for each bar of health), somethign like:

pseudo code

for(int i =0; i < caveman.getMaxHealth(); i++){
if caveman.getHealth() > i
render a green quad
else render a red quad
move one unit to the left/right (so that all quads are not one over the other)
}

I tried it but nothing renders, heres my code

@ForgeSubscribe
{
	mc = mc.getMinecraft();
	{
		GL11.glPushMatrix();

//GL11.glRotatef(System.nanoTime() / 10000000f, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F); no more of use
		GL11.glTranslated(0.45, 3.5, 0);//could be 6, 7, 10, 2000, youll have to find the god value yourself
		//i highly doubt 2000 is even a good value btw
		//its approximatelly the same height as your entity, and a little more
		GL11.glRotatef(200.0F - event.entity.renderYawOffset, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);//this line should make it always face the player, or always away from the player depending on which direction your plane is facing, experiment with it

mc.func_110434_K().func_110577_a(new ResourceLocation(Strings.MOD_ID, "/textures/gui/health_bar.png"));
		GL11.glPopMatrix();
	}
}

{
	caveman = caveman.getCaveman();
	if(caveman != null)
	{
		for(int i = 0; i < caveman.func_110138_aP(); i++)
		{
			if(caveman.func_110138_aP() > i)
			{
				tessellator.setColorOpaque(0, 255, 0);
				tessellator.setColorOpaque(0, 255, 0);
				tessellator.draw();
			}
			else
			{
				tessellator.setColorOpaque(255, 0, 0);
				tessellator.setColorOpaque(255, 0, 0);
				tessellator.draw();
			}
		}
	}
}

GL11.glRotatef(200.0F - event.entity.renderYawOffset, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);

depending on the orientation its possible the quad you render is facing away from you , opengl only render 1 side of each quad you ask him to

try thsi

GL11.glRotatef(event.entity.renderYawOffset, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);