Is Forge/MC just borked? Everyone suddenly getting Exit Code 1's and Incompatible FML disconnects

Star Fox

I was playing modded Minecraft on a friend's server just fine yesterday. This morning, I suddenly couldn't connect due to "incompatible mod lists" despite having the same mods installed as the ones it's telling me I need. After LOTS of troubleshooting, getting tons of inexplicable Exit Code 1 crashes and no solutions, I deleted everything and did a completely fresh install of Minecraft, Forge, and the necessary mods. The problem still persists- the mods it is telling me the server has are the EXACT same versions of the mods I have.

I can't help but notice that basically the ENTIRE most recent page of this forum is consumed with Exit Code 1 crash reports and reports of similar behavior to the kind I am suddenly experiencing this morning. These reports have been common over the years from people playing modded MC, but it seems like suddenly EVERYONE is experiencing the same problem. The responses have been mostly unhelpful and from people who don't seem to have much of an idea of what the hell they're talking about, mostly repeating the tired chorus of "post your client/server debug log" only to offer no solutions.

At what point do we stop trying to fix something seemingly broken on our end and start pointing to Forge or Minecraft themselves as the source of the incompatibility/failure? Players can only do so much and if this many people are having the same problem, it points to a greater issue requiring a developer solution. Is there recourse/communication with the Forge developers on this forum?

\

Ok1Z0wl.png

Edited by Star Fox

is consumed with Exit Code 1 

This is what the launcher shows when any error occurs (except a crash in native code).

Not very helpful, but if you don't like it talk to Mojang who wrote the launcher.

mostly repeating the tired chorus of "post your client/server debug log" only to offer no solutions

And yet you don't post yours either.

It's hardly our fault if we have to keep asking for the log (including stating in the EAQ - first post in this forum - that posting this log is mandatory for every problem)

Many times the user never posts the log, presumably they looked at it themselves and used a search to find the error without needing to post it?

At what point do we stop trying to fix something seemingly broken on our end and start pointing to Forge or Minecraft themselves as the source of the incompatibility/failure? 

90% of problems in this forum are users trying to load random mods meant for different random versions of minecraft/forge and expecting it to work.

The other 10% are badly written mods that keep appearing again and again, usually graphics/optimisation mods.

In my time on this forum I have only ever seen 2 problems that were actual bugs in forge.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Fair enough, thanks for such a thorough response!

Edit: I didn't include my debug report because it seemed like a waste of time and energy to go through the steps upload it to github or somewhere else when I only have the client side to offer. I have a life outside of Minecraft (it is, after all, just a game), so even posting to a forum for help is beyond what I feel is reasonable for a game that should work when installed and opened properly. That said, since making my original post I now can no longer even reach the page included in the screenshot above as now the game is JUST crashing over and over.

If posting debug logs is mandatory, then this forum should offer the ability to include attachments natively without the need to use a third party like imgur or github. I shouldn't have to create yet another account with yet another company/service (or use one at all, for that matter) just to get assistance here. This seems like common sense to me, but that's just my perspective.

Edited by Star Fox

If posting debug logs is mandatory, then this forum should offer the ability to include attachments natively without the need to use a third party like imgur or github. I shouldn't have to create yet another account with yet another company/service (or use one at all, for that matter) just to get assistance here. This seems like common sense to me, but that's just my perspective.

This forum is paid for entirely from the advertising. Having to buy the disk space for all those logs would increase the costs.

You can use "free" upload sites on the internet.

Edit: I didn't include my debug report because it seemed like a waste of time and energy to go through the steps upload it to github or somewhere else when I only have the client side to offer. 

The debug.log will confirm the actual mods that are getting loaded, which might be the same as what you *think* is getting loaded.

It might also reveal a different error (not shown by that screen) that is the real cause of the problem.

This is why the log is so important.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.