[1.18] What is the proper way of defining data values for entities?

Myxtro

I have a few questions regarding entities.

Whenever I spawn an entity (with a spawn egg at least) the defineSynchedData() function can't read data values that are being set in the constructor.

So I have two questions:

1) What is the proper way of defining data values which can change for each individual entity (like a hunger counter)

2) What is the proper way of defining data values that won't change, and are the same for each instance of the same entity class (like a max food level)

Edited by Myxtro
typo

25 minutes ago, Myxtro said:

I have a few questions regarding entities.

Whenever I spawn an entity (with a spawn egg at least) the defineSynchedData() function can't read data values that are being set in the constructor.

Since you don't show the code you tried and/or post the error, your question is unanswerable. We have no psychic powers.

SynchedEntityData is used to send your entity instance data to the client. I am not sure of relevance for spawning entities, which should happen on the server?

https://forge.gemwire.uk/wiki/Networking_with_Entities

1) What is the proper way of defining data values which can change for each individual entity (like a hunger counter)

2) What is the proper way of defining data values that won't change, and are the same for each instance of the same entity class (like a max food level)

There are many different ways, which you use depends upon the use case, e.g.

* public static final fields to hold values that never change

* instance fields which may or may not be synched to the client and usually persisted to disk in add/readAdditionalSaveData()

* entity attributes that store values that can be modified by things like enchants or mob effects (e.g. max health, armor rating, etc.)

* writing your own entity capability for storing data on other people's entities

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

5 hours ago, warjort said:

* public static final fields to hold values that never change

This is probably the way I want to go with. But how would I do this in the scenario where I have an abstract class where the field must be known (so methods can use it) but not yet have a value. Where in the implementing class should I assign a value to the field? I have tried this setup but it doesn't seem to work:

//in the abstract class
public static int maxFood;

//In the constructor of the implementing class
maxFood = 100000;

This is basic java, your question has nothing to do with forge or minecraft

You can't use a static field if it varies by subclass. Static fields are not polymorphic..

public abstract class AbstractClass {
    public int getMaxFood () {
         return 10000; // default value
    }
}

public class ConcreteClass extends AbstractClass {
    @Override
    public int getMaxFood () {
         return 20000; // different value for this class
    }
}

AbstractClass x = ...;
x.getMaxFood(); // will vary by the class of x

I would suggest you find something to help you learn java.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.