Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to find system mod: minecraft

Naamah

I've tried different jdks, reinstalling minecraft, reinstalling IntelliJ, and restarting the project from scratch and I cant figure out why this error is happening.

Full error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to find system mod: minecraft
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.ModSorter.detectSystemMods(ModSorter.java:181)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.ModSorter.buildUniqueList(ModSorter.java:145)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.ModSorter.sort(ModSorter.java:53)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.moddiscovery.ModValidator.stage2Validation(ModValidator.java:101)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.FMLLoader.completeScan(FMLLoader.java:175)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/net.minecraftforge.fml.loading.FMLServiceProvider.completeScan(FMLServiceProvider.java:91)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.TransformationServiceDecorator.onCompleteScan(TransformationServiceDecorator.java:174)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.TransformationServicesHandler.lambda$triggerScanCompletion$24(TransformationServicesHandler.java:145)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:197)
    at java.base/java.util.HashMap$ValueSpliterator.forEachRemaining(HashMap.java:1779)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:509)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:499)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:575)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluateToArrayNode(AbstractPipeline.java:260)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.toArray(ReferencePipeline.java:616)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.toArray(ReferencePipeline.java:622)
    at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.toList(ReferencePipeline.java:627)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.TransformationServicesHandler.triggerScanCompletion(TransformationServicesHandler.java:147)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:94)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:77)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.BootstrapLaunchConsumer.accept(BootstrapLaunchConsumer.java:26)
    at MC-BOOTSTRAP/[email protected]/cpw.mods.modlauncher.BootstrapLaunchConsumer.accept(BootstrapLaunchConsumer.java:23)
    at [email protected]/cpw.mods.bootstraplauncher.BootstrapLauncher.main(BootstrapLauncher.java:141)

Edited by Naamah

tenor.gif?itemid=27352888

Not even gonna lie, I think I have autism

If the forge bootstrap can't find minecraft this will be an issue with your launcher.

If you are using the vanilla launcher post a link to the launcher_log.txt

otherwise speak to whoever produces your launcher.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

On 1/4/2023 at 4:12 AM, warjort said:

If the forge bootstrap can't find minecraft this will be an issue with your launcher.

If you are using the vanilla launcher post a link to the launcher_log.txt

otherwise speak to whoever produces your launcher.

I see that my minecraft launcher is installing it's installations to the curseforge client install location, but after running the runClient, it gives the error but neither the log for the vanilla launcher, nor the curseforge launcher change.

You need to explain better what you are doing.

runclient is a gradle task used in development, it will not use anything from a production environment like curseforge

If it can't find minecraft in the development environment, then you have likely broken your build.gradle in some way.

Or you have not run the relevant gradle task to setup the run configurations for your IDE if you are starting it that way.

https://forge.gemwire.uk/wiki/Getting_Started

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

3 hours ago, warjort said:

You need to explain better what you are doing.

runclient is a gradle task used in development, it will not use anything from a production environment like curseforge

If it can't find minecraft in the development environment, then you have likely broken your build.gradle in some way.

Or you have not run the relevant gradle task to setup the run configurations for your IDE if you are starting it that way.

https://forge.gemwire.uk/wiki/Getting_Started

This may sound like the weirded shit ever, but I refollowed the Getting Started section and it was all going well until I edited the mods.toml file. The only thing I changed in there was the name and author. If I don't touch the file, no error occurs and I can start the client like normal (gives an error, but the game actually starts).

Edited by Naamah

35 minutes ago, Naamah said:

This may sound like the weirded shit ever, but I refollowed the Getting Started section and it was all going well until I edited the mods.toml file. The only thing I changed in there was the name and author. If I don't touch the file, no error occurs and I can start the client like normal (gives an error, but the game actually starts).

So after a bunch of searching the error only happens when I change the modId="examplemod" to my own modid in the mods.toml file. I used a different modid and it worked, but it could just be that I am dumb as hell and cant solve a simple problem

Boilerplate:

• 1 month later...