Authentication issues

Ethan Pyatt

Hello, everyone. Hope your day/night is going well.

There appears to be a small authentication issue with Minecraft 1.18.0-1.19.4 versions of Forge that may allow full online functionality of the game for some users but not for others. My friend is playing a 1.19.2 Forge modpack and can join secure servers and see his skin. However, when I use any version of Minecraft 1.18+ with Forge, I can't see my skin or join any secure servers. 

I purchased the full game. It works on vanilla Minecraft and on any version of Forge Minecraft below 1.18. Can someone help me understand what is happening and maybe some suggestions on how to fix it? As clarification, the error displayed upon attempting to join a secure server using a 1.18 or 1.19 version with forge is, "Missing public profile key. This server requires secure profiles," despite my account being legitimate and on a Microsoft account.

Thanks.

I am loathed to get involved in this kind of issue since it usually boils down to providing free PC support to people that install all sorts of rubbish on their PC and then wonder why their PC doesn't work properly.

I am only responding to say I have seen 2 different causes of this problem in issues I did respond to in the past:

* Misconfigured networking. e.g. IPV6 is enabled for outbound traffic, but not inbound traffic. Meaning the authentication response from Microsoft/Mojang could never be received

* The launcher passing garbage authentication parameters to forge. Meaning it can't make a valid authentication request

The latter is commonly (but not exclusively) seen with people using hacked clients/launchers, or when they have used a hacked client in the past.

You can see if that is happening from the first line of the logs/debug.log (which you don't show).

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

• 9 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 PM, warjort said:

* Misconfigured networking. e.g. IPV6 is enabled for outbound traffic, but not inbound traffic. Meaning the authentication response from Microsoft/Mojang could never be received

I just thought I should add this was the problem I ran into today.
I disabled IPV6 in my network adapter settings.

Kind Regards,
Damian

Please be aware that disabling IPv6 may increase your ping time (therefore more lag) and prevent you from joining some servers. Disabling it should be a last resort because of this.

Instead, you should fix the root cause of the issue such as a bad DNS, firewall blocking one direction, outdated networking drivers, etc...