Need help with dedicated server

OlHonder

[07May2023 21:01:09.386] [Server thread/INFO] [net.minecraft.server.network.ServerGamePacketListenerImpl/]: OlHonder lost connection: Timed out

That says the client is taking too long. Either because it is, or it "crashed".

You need to post the logs/debug.log from the client.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

You also have this error:

[07May2023 20:59:22.137] [main/ERROR] [net.minecraftforge.fml.DeferredWorkQueue/]: Mod 'vinery' encountered an error in a deferred task:

net.minecraftforge.fml.util.ObfuscationReflectionHelper$UnableToFindMethodException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: net.minecraft.world.entity.ai.village.poi.PoiType.registerBlockStates(net.minecraft.world.entity.ai.village.poi.PoiType)

at net.minecraftforge.fml.util.ObfuscationReflectionHelper.findMethod(ObfuscationReflectionHelper.java:151) ~[fmlcore-1.19.4-45.0.57.jar%23250!/:?]

at satisfyu.vinery.forge.registry.VineryForgeVillagers.registerPOIs(VineryForgeVillagers.java:31) ~[vinery-1.2.6-forge.jar%23245!/:?]

Check you have the latest version then contact the mod author.

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Posting client debug log: https://gist.github.com/OlHonder/6b4ced63c46eda0600db48423fc96f41

It always fails to connect, already checked the versions are up to date and even tried removing the mods throwing an error but it keeps doing the same, it either says "Timed Out" or "Disconnected".

When it says "Timed out", the client hangs and stops responding, when it says "Disconnected" appears either with something about "Heap Space" or "Stack Overflow".

The same behavior repeats on machines on both local and external networks, and also on the host machine.

There is nothing in the log that indicates what the problem is.

The client is joining the game which you can see on both the client and server:

[07May2023 21:00:39.434] [Netty Client IO #1/INFO] [net.minecraftforge.network.NetworkHooks/]: Connected to a modded server.

[07May2023 21:00:39.585] [Server thread/INFO] [net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer/]: OlHonder joined the game

The server then times out the client because it is not sending/responding to any network packets (including the "keep alive ping")

[07May2023 21:01:09.386] [Server thread/INFO] [net.minecraft.server.network.ServerGamePacketListenerImpl/]: OlHonder lost connection: Timed out

The first indication this has happened on the client is - this is a normal message when a client leaves a server

[07May2023 21:01:33.057] [Render thread/DEBUG] [SpectreLib/CONFIG]: Unloading server configs

The only other information between when the client joined the server and it getting disconnected is the iceberg mod changing some network code.

[07May2023 21:00:39.440] [Netty Client IO #1/DEBUG] [mixin/]: Mixing ClientPacketListenerMixin from iceberg.mixins.json into net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.ClientPacketListener

If it's not iceberg, I would guess the only way you will find the problem mod is by experimenting with removing mods until the problem goes away.

Backup your world on the server before removing mods.

Boilerplate:

"Heap Space" or "Stack Overflow".

Heap space: likely means you don't have enough memory on the client but...

Stack Overflow: is a bug which might be causing the memory problem?

Boilerplate:

If you modify the client to include the following in its "java arguments" - you set it in the same place you specify the -Xmx memory value

-Dforge.logging.mojang.level=debug

it might show more information about the error you are seeing.

Boilerplate:

15 hours ago, warjort said:

If you modify the client to include the following in its "java arguments" - you set it in the same place you specify the -Xmx memory value

-Dforge.logging.mojang.level=debug

it might show more information about the error you are seeing.

Just did a run with this argument on both my client and the server, from where do I get those logs so I can paste them here?

The normal logs/debug.log. Put it on a file sharing site.

Also check you have done it correctly by looking for that error you see in the client log.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

6 hours ago, warjort said:

The normal logs/debug.log. Put it on a file sharing site.

Also check you have done it correctly by looking for that error you see in the client log.

I uploaded multiple logs on a single gist: https://gist.github.com/OlHonder/bce1822d73209c83143aaf5cd912390f

Excluded mods that were giving errors, made clean install and new instance (same name), and tried running the client in a new singleplayer world to check if something launched an error that didn't appear on the server log.

Server has 4gb ram, client has 6gb ram. Not running resourcepacks other than what the mods add as mod_resources, removed clientside mods (the ones I found) from the server.

[Info: 2023-05-09 14:27:12.1401684: MinecraftJavaLoggingContext.cpp(52)] Game/game () Info [08:27:12] [Netty Client IO #8/WARN] [ne.mi.ne.fi.VanillaPacketSplitter/]: forge:split received out of order - inbound buffer not empty when receiving first

[Info: 2023-05-09 14:27:37.7975862: MinecraftJavaLoggingContext.cpp(52)] Game/game () Info 2023-05-09 08:27:37,785 Netty Client IO #8 ERROR An exception occurred processing Appender DebugFile org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.AppenderLoggingException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I don't know what logs you posted. They look all over the place in terms of contents and times.

But I did find this in what looks like your launcher_log.txt

There are 2 errors there.

The first says something is breaking the networking, but does not say what.

All it says it has detected the network buffer is not empty when it should be.

The second is the OutOfMemoryError you mentioned before.

At this point, I've exhausted where I can look to find the problem.

It's not giving any indication as to a possible cause beyond that memory error.

It's likely the only way you will find the problem mod is by experimenting with removing mods until you find the one that makes the problem go away.

Backup your world before removing mods.

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

yx1i0RN.png

I added names to each file, but I could make a different gist for each one if that's easier.

Will try the manual way with adding mods one at a time.

Do you know if there's a way to use a curseforge instance as my server? Would be pretty useful to just go enabling them one by one that way instead of managing the files.

The issue is the contents of the files not the names. And that the logs are for different times, so not the same login attempt.

Only the launcher_log.txt shows the client connecting to the server and that log never shows debug information.

But I don't think the debug.log will give any new information in this case.

It looks like one of your mods is just *silently* breaking the network buffer.

curseforge lets you download "server packs" if the mod pack author uploaded one but it doesn't let you create or run them.

Boilerplate:

After manual testing I've discovered that LibX is the problem, idk what changes in the networking. Just Enough Advancements uses it as a library.

Made an install on both client and server with just LibX installed and it gives the same problems.

I'll be contacting the mod author and I'd like to know how to mark this as solved in the meantime.

Thanks for the help.