Suggestion for best way to handle crop tiers

Silvertide

Hello! I am newish to modding and I want to make a small mod. Basically all it would do is add a tier to a crop. The higher the tier the better the crop which has effects on the food it makes and hunger/saturation values. I'm just not sure on the best way to do this. I want this to be able to apply to vanilla minecraft crops, but also be configurable by datapack to add modded crops to it as well. Do I need to create a custom TieredCropBlock that has it's own NBT? Should I use a capability? Any tips or if you know of any examples similar to this would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

I understand fairly well the process of creating my own crop or item or block, the hard part I'm running into is how to add features to existing crops, or any item for that matter, with the least impact possible. I want this to work with other mods and be highly configurable with datapacks. The resulting crop item that comes from the block will also need a tier value based on the crop it came from. And the resulting food as well. One thing at a time though..

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

We don't write or design your mod for you.

But adding to the NBT or using a capability is only relevant if you want different ItemStacks of the same Item to have different values.

If you do that, ItemStacks with different values won't stack together.

If you want to modify other people's blocks to drop different items:

https://forge.gemwire.uk/wiki/Dynamic_Loot_Modification

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

Of course, I'm definitely not looking for any design or modding, I just wasn't sure on the best path forward with creating this cropblock or crop item to have that tier data. Mostly between making my own custom item and adding NBT or using capabilities and attaching that to existing items. Thanks, I'll read through all of this and try things out!