[SOLVED] Block metadata resets to 0

superckl

I'm having a strange problem... When someone right clicks my custom block, I set it's metadata to 1 with:

world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, 1, 2)

Where x, y, z, and world are the values passed in onBlockActivated. I have a check in that method so I can make sure the set metadata method returns true, and it does.

The problem is, when I close Minecraft and come back, the metadata has reset itself to 0.

This is how I am checking the metadata (onChunkLoad):

@ForgeSubscribe
public void onChunkLoad(ChunkDataEvent.Load e){
	for(ExtendedBlockStorage storage:e.getChunk().getBlockStorageArray())
		if(storage != null && !storage.isEmpty())
			for(int x = 0; x < 16; x++)
				for(int z = 0; z < 16; z++)
					for(int y = 0; y < 16; y++)
						if(storage.getExtBlockID(x, y, z) == FirstMod.instance.fishDirt.blockID){
							System.out.println(storage.getExtBlockMetadata(x, y, z));
							System.out.println(((e.getChunk().xPosition << 4) + x) +":"+ (storage.getYLocation()+y) +":"+ ((e.getChunk().zPosition << 4) + z));
						}

}

The prints are from me testing if the coordinates matched up to when I set the metadata(they do). The fist print prints 0. I can not figure out why.

I'm a fairly adept java programmer (about a year's experience) but I just started this whole forge modding thing, so if I made a stupid mistake somewhere, please correct me (nicely :P). And, before you ask, yes I did a Google search and a search on here.

client-server disparity.

Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld returns the client's world, so you're only changing the block on the client side, and when the chunk gets an update packet from the server, the block will reset.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Do a quick "if(!world.isRemote){}" around your code and see if that changes anything.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Around the part where you're changing the block metadata?

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int par6, float par7, float par8, float par9) {
	if(world.isRemote){
		return true;
	}
	Location location = new Location(x, y, z);
    	if(!FirstMod.instance.fishDirts.remove(location)){
    			FirstMod.instance.fishDirts.add(location);
    			if(world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, 1, 2))
    				System.out.println("set to 1");
    			Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.addWeatherEffect(new EntityLightningBolt(Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld, x, y, z));
    	}else{
    		if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, 0, 2))
    			System.out.println("set to 0");
    	}
	return true;
}

That's my onBlockActivated method. The metadata is now somehow permanently set to 1. The "set to 1" print never happens, but the "set to 0" print happens when I deactivate it, as expected.  ???

The Location class is made by me for storing x-y-z triplets, if you were wondering (I'm a Bukkit programmer at heart  ;)).

Not sure what's going on; I'm a little worn out after a long day.

The Location class is made by me for storing x-y-z triplets, if you were wondering (I'm a Bukkit programmer at heart  ;)).

Look up Vec3.  You reimplemented it with a new name.

Location location = new Location(x, y, z);
    	if(!FirstMod.instance.fishDirts.remove(location)){

Well, you're making a new Location object which you're trying to remove from a list? In that case, you'll always fail to remove it, as the reference of the new object never can be the same as one of the objects in the list. Unless you've correctly overriden the equals() method in your Location class?

Also this will not work on the server side, as mentioned before by Draco18s:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.addWeatherEffect(new EntityLightningBolt(Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld, x, y, z));

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

Here's my base class:

@Mod(modid="FirstMod", name="First Mod", version="1.0")
@NetworkMod(clientSideRequired=true)
public class FirstMod{

public final ItemStack fishRod = new ItemStack(new FishRod(900));
public final Block fishDirt = new FishDirt(901);

@Instance(value = "FirstMod")
public static FirstMod instance;

public Set<Location> fishDirts = new LocationSet();

@cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.EventHandler
public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent e){

}

public void load(FMLInitializationEvent e){
	TickRegistry.registerTickHandler(new PlayerTickListener(), Side.CLIENT);
	TickRegistry.registerTickHandler(new WorldTickListener(), Side.CLIENT);
	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new EventHandler());
	GameRegistry.registerBlock(this.fishDirt, "FishDirt");
	GameRegistry.registerItem(this.fishRod.getItem(), "FishRod");
	LanguageRegistry.addName(this.fishRod, "Great Rod of the Fish God");
	LanguageRegistry.addName(this.fishDirt, "Great Dirt of the Fish God");
	GameRegistry.addRecipe(this.fishRod, "  x", " y ", 'x', new ItemStack(Item.fishRaw), 'y', new ItemStack(Item.stick));
	GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(this.fishDirt), "xxx", "xyx", "xxx", 'x', new ItemStack(Item.fishRaw), 'y', new ItemStack(Block.dirt));
}

public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent e){
}

}

If you require anything else, just ask. I don't think the Tick or Event handlers are necessary as they don't touch anything with blocks or metadata (except the chunk load one).