Jerky Block Model Animation

Meoco

Ok, so I have a block with a custom block model, and it's animating just fine, but sometimes, the animation is really jerky and odd... any ideas?

(My only idea is that because it's changing a value in the model itself, it's changing on a global scale, therefore with every instance of the model, the rotation is added again, making an odd effect.... but I have no clue how to animate it otherwise. :P )

This is how I'm animating the model at the moment. The animation works, it's just not smooth (not all the time, at least).

public class TileEntityMachineCore extends TileEntity{
float y = 0.0F;
@Override
public void updateEntity() {
	y += 0.05F;
	ModelMachineCore.setRotation(ModelMachineCore.Axel, 0.0F, y, 0.0F);
	ModelMachineCore.setRotation(ModelMachineCore.Gear11, 0.0F, y, 0.0F);
	ModelMachineCore.setRotation(ModelMachineCore.Gear12, 0.0F, y + 0.8F, 0.0F);
	ModelMachineCore.setRotation(ModelMachineCore.Gear21, 0.0F, y, 0.0F);
	ModelMachineCore.setRotation(ModelMachineCore.Gear22, 0.0F, y + 0.8F, 0.0F);
}

}

Ok, so partialTickTime, got it. Now just to figure out how and where. lol

EDIT: Ok, so I've noticed that it IS because of having multiple tile entities updating single variables in the model file. Is this what using partialTickTime fixes?

Hi

Not exactly, partialTickTime helps you synchronise your animations better if the frame rate is uneven. 

I'd suggest that there's a reasonably easy way to fix your problem with the model file being updated by multiple tile entites... i.e. don't update it in multiple tile entities.  Give responsibility for the updating to a single place in your code, eg a TickHandler which is called once per tick.

-TGG

Now that it's not the middle of the night, that makes a lot of sense. lol I had a tickk handler implemented in the past, and had re-written the mod from the ground up with 1.6, so yeah, I can do that. xD

EDIT: Huzzah! Not only does it not speed up with multiples placed, it now animates in the inventory, as well (before, it would only do so if one or more were placed and loaded)!