[SOLVED] Class not found with proper file structure?

firstdwarf

Sorry to post in an area that's well documented, but I'm at my wits' end!

My package is firstdwarf.StarTech and my class is StarTech. As far as I can tell, I'm following the mod packaging guidelines laid out extensively on this forum. I have tried multiple package names so as to only have one file instead of two. When I create a zip file, the name of the zip file itself shouldn't matter, should it? Every example I find from a mod has a zip name they set themselves.

When I unzip the file, it creates a folder whose name shouldn't matter. Inside that folder, the first folder is firstdwarf, the second StarTech, and StarTech contains every file for my mod, including the class file StarTech.class. So I don't understand why I get a class not found error for firstdwarf.StarTech.StarTech!!!

From extensive testing and throwing different configurations at it, the mod only seems to work when the file that is zipped is the firstdwarf folder itself- that is, when i unzip the file, it creates the folder firstdwarf. This does not appear to be the case with any other mod I can find, please help!!!

Open up the zip in something like WinRar

At the zip root should be a folder called firstdwarf

If there isn't, you've done it wrong.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I'm on a mac, so I can't use winrar without exporting to the windows side of my machine, which I did. However, I'm not sure what you mean by zip root and my best efforts at googling have been fruitless. Sorry to ask, but could you explain further? On simply extracting the files, where would the zip root be located? Is it not extracted?

Capture.png

My main class is draco18s.wispy.WispyBase so the first directory I see inside my zipped folder is "draco18s"

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

From extensive testing and throwing different configurations at it, the mod only seems to work when the file that is zipped is the firstdwarf folder itself- that is, when i unzip the file, it creates the folder firstdwarf. This does not appear to be the case with any other mod I can find, please help!!!

You found the way it works.

I assure you, all other mods are doing the exact same.

Solved it! After checking as you suggested, I discovered an issue with compressing on a mac (though, as always, I could be mistaken in the warning to follow).

A WARNING TO MAC USERS:

Recent versions come with a handy dandy tool for compressing and opening .zip files. This works perfectly to open any file you choose. When opening a file, it creates a folder with the same name as the original zip file.

HOWEVER when you select right click on your file and select compress, the tool appears to make a zip file of your original folder; i.e. StarTechRelease becomes File.zip-->StarTechRelease-->whatever else. It can't convert your file straight to file.zip with the contents directly underneath like it does when opening files. The process works differently depending on whether you are zipping or unzipping. Furthermore, there is an extra upper level to the zip file containing  folder that appears to identify the file as made on a mac, or possibly compatible with mac utilities.

Moral of the story: the archive utility adds to your .zip AND hides those additions when you try to open your zip. I would recommend using a third party application to compress your files; only a third party application showed me the hidden files ruining my mod.

EDIT: @GotoLink, I realize that other mods are run the same way now. The compressing tool opened all files in a way that created an additional folder in front. Combined with being unable to easily create any .zip with whatever files you choose directly underneath, it makes for a dangerous combination.