Extra Experience Enchantment

ChloTheQueen

I'm new to modding, and trying to create an enchantment that causes killed mobs to drop extra experience. I've learned that you can spawn entities, such as extra experience orbs, using the doPostAttack method. How could I make it so that the extra experience is only spawned once the target is killed?

Here's the enchantment I'm working on, which currently spawns 1 experience orb when the player hits an entity:

public class ProficiencyEnchantment extends Enchantment {

public ProficiencyEnchantment(Rarity pRarity, EnchantmentCategory pCategory, EquipmentSlot... pApplicableSlots) {
        super(pRarity, pCategory, pApplicableSlots);
    }

public void doPostAttack(LivingEntity pAttacker, Entity pTarget, int pLevel) {
        if(!pAttacker.level().isClientSide()) {
            ServerLevel world = ((ServerLevel) pAttacker.level());
            BlockPos position = pTarget.blockPosition();

if(pLevel == 1) {
                EntityType.EXPERIENCE_ORB.spawn(world, (ItemStack) null, null, position,
                        MobSpawnType.TRIGGERED, true, true);
            }
        }
    }

@Override
    public int getMaxLevel() {
        return 1;
    }
}

pTarget.isAlive() ?

There is also this event for when entities die, telling you how they die and what caused it:

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/817e20821d04225e2b39e2ce64be9b70c8ddfa27/src/main/java/net/minecraftforge/event/entity/living/LivingDeathEvent.java#L16

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.

well, now I've seemingly got everything working, but the experience orbs aren't actually giving the player experience, and I'm also not sure how to check if the target is a Monster before the enchantment works.

public class ProficiencyEnchantment extends Enchantment {

public ProficiencyEnchantment(Rarity pRarity, EnchantmentCategory pCategory, EquipmentSlot... pApplicableSlots) {
        super(pRarity, pCategory, pApplicableSlots);
    }

public void doPostAttack(LivingEntity pAttacker, Entity pTarget, int pLevel) {
        if(!pAttacker.level().isClientSide()) {
            ServerLevel world = ((ServerLevel) pAttacker.level());
            BlockPos position = pTarget.blockPosition();

if(!pTarget.isAlive()) {
                int orbs = (int)Math.floor(Math.random() * (4));
                while (orbs > 0) {
                    EntityType.EXPERIENCE_ORB.spawn(world, (ItemStack) null, null, position,
                            MobSpawnType.TRIGGERED, true, true);
                    orbs = (orbs - 1);
                }
            }
        }
    }

@Override
    public boolean isTreasureOnly() {
        return true;
    }
}

It is very tiresome posting this on every thread in this forum:

If you want help with your code, put a reproducable example of your problem on github.

Not random and incomplete code snippets out of context in this forum.

We need to see how the code fits together and maybe try it for ourselves if the problem is not obvious.

I don't actually know because I never tried it, but I bet using EntityType.spawn() for an experience orb sets the experience value to 0?

You should create the ORB yourself and then call serverLevel.addFreshEntity().

See for example Animal.finalizeSpawnChildFromBreeding()

For you other question, maybe?

if pTarget instanceof Monster

or maybe you want to get check if the mob is targetting the player using Entity.getTarget ?

Edited by warjort

Boilerplate:

If you don't post your logs/debug.log we can't help you. For curseforge you need to enable the forge debug.log in its minecraft settings. You should also post your crash report if you have one.

If there is no error in the log file and you don't have a crash report then post the launcher_log.txt from the minecraft folder. Again for curseforge this will be in your curseforge/minecraft/Install

Large files should be posted to a file sharing site like https://gist.github.com  You should also read the support forum sticky post.