forge install.cmd hangs during install in random spots on each attempt

tylers_asbynce

I downloaded the recommended 1.6.4 package and clicked install.cmd which opened up the cmd prompt to begin downloading all libraries and files. However, on each attempt the download stops (take my word its not the time delay to install each individual library). I'm not too educated on the new windows 8.1 firewall defaults so if anyone could help me out that would be great.

Additional info: after the first stall I can close the installer and re-run which starts the install where it had left off but the same issue will happen with later file downloads.

Mojangs servers are being twitchy, Either use the gradle system, which caches everything and uses your local mc install to grab if the servers are down.

Or.. just keep trying.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

to make sure it wasn't a server issue I installed through my laptop without issues...

If things don't work soon I'll run gradle I just wanted to avoid as many programs that are unfamiliar to me.

Pretty sure its a firewall issue but again don't have enough knowledge..

additional info I forgot to add is I use Avast anti virus so that may also have a protection limiting the download...

• 2 weeks later...

I get the same behaviour on Linux ubuntu 13.04.

I've been able to stop/restart the process and make some progress until :

Gathering assets list from http://resources.download.minecraft.net

Downloading 1086 assets

sounds/fireworks/largeBlast1.ogg Modified, removing

I can't get past this.

I tried: iptables -F = to make sure there were no firewall issues. There are no issues. I don't use any iptables rules on this box anyway...

I'd very much like to get this working. Would folks recommend I google around and try to find the gradle install mechanism?