Console Client API

Corinanth

Not sure if anyone has ever used this but there is a text only mine craft client which i have found useful for a lot of tasks especially emergency administration duties as well as simple chatting when your running on a tablet or laptop that cannot run the full client very well.

my idea is to add an api to forge to support these clients since they have only the chat core they can only run with vanilla servers. Any attempt to run a console client on a forge server will kick the player due to missing mods or minecraft version mismatches which are not required for console clients. It would be nice to set up an API system that will allow the creation of Forge console/text clients that can bypass the mod and version requirements validation that causes them to fail.

i have not heard of Rcon but if it is an admin utility than my request still stands since a chat client would need to be able to function at any permission level so the average non admin can still use it. otherwise it's use as a lightweight chat client is limited

i think the closest analogue to what i am talking about would be the text clients for second life. they allow anyone with any permission set to connect to their character's chat console for use as a social chat tool without requiring the hardware to run the full rendering. of course you end up with a avatar standing immobile in the middle of a room and totally helpless but there are ways of ensuring your saftey

honestly for a chat client it would probably just ignore the custom mod packets. remember it is not actually doing anything other than sending chat messages and it also would not be sending any packets that would directly effect the character or it's inventory..... well unless you did something stupid like accepting a teleport invite into lava xD

Your best bet for writing a 'Chat client' for your server. Is to roll a custom server side as well as a mod in Minecraft.

Make it listen on a random port and implement a basic chat system, that way the clients never hit the real MC connection and Forge/FML/MC doesnt care. Doesn't really see them as existing.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Seems like a issue with those plugins not us. They should fix that.

MC has RCon, and normal play, if we start supporting other protocols it'll get ridiculous.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon