Item ID Mapping

DracoSys

I have 44 mods running on a dedicated server. Every time the server has to be started (mod updates, system updates, any kind of crash/reboot, etc) FML runs through and remaps the same items. Every. Time.

In all of the FML logs, I see multiple entries about "saving mappings to world" before and after sending the serverStop to each mod.

In the world, everything is fine. Items in chests get mapped properly, storages are all good. Blocks all match what they're supposed to be, etc. The issue I'm having is players!

Every time we reconnect to the server, items get messed with. Suddenly I'm wearing boots on my chest and some random material for leggings. Player inventories, hotbars, equipment and Ender Chests are all swapped.

I don't understand this. The items are (re)mapped at server startup. Players are saved. Mappings are (supposed to be) saved at server shut down.

It's almost as if the player data is being saved with numeric IDs that do not match the remapped IDs. I thought we were getting out of this numeric ID system?

Everything else is just fine, it's ONLY the players that are affected by the ID swapping/mismatching.

Can a mod prevent core saving of ID mappings? How would a mod get in the way of saving mappings? Logs only show mismatching IDs at startup, no errors and not so much as a clue to an odd glitch. Are players NOT saved via namespace:itemname[metadata] as opposed to numeric ID?

I've tried most basic avenues, logs, trial and error, etc. 44 mods work fine individually. Some in groups. However, there has to be a more efficient method than trial and error with the countless number of combos in these mods (in case it's 2 or so not playing well with 1 or 2 others).

There is not much you can do beyond trial and error.

There are some issue to be resolved with the ID mapping system however that should not effect this type of thing.

And yes, it is possible, depending on the mods. However, this should not be a issue on Forge's end... Interesting.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Apologies for delayed response, restarted a fresh world under that exact assumption.

Any possibilities for something like "Forge Tools" to include ability to remap/sync players and mods? Remove blocks from old mods? Some kind of ID mapping tool would be nice. There's tons of great mods thanks to Forge. It would be cool to have the ability to save worlds during mods' beta developments and Forge changes. The only issue I've had with this is ID mappings. I know a lot of that is on the mod's side but, removing crap/broken/"mismatched and can't be remapped" stuff would be great. The players issue and constant remapping I have still boggles my mind. I would think that once remapped/converted, future loads shouldn't have to unless changed again.

I'm asking here rather than formal "feature request" as question of plausibility. If highly improbable, not going to worry about it. :)

The IDs themselves are being synchronized as well, the client will run with the exact same IDs as the server. The IDs not just being translated at the network borders.

Wait for the ID mapping fixes to be done or PM me on IRC if you want to actively help testing.