[1.6.4] Can't get serverside code to run on a tileentity?

thatsimplekid

Well, for the past 4 hours I've been trying to get this to work...

So, I have a tile entity with a set of Boolean values, and I have a method called "updateBools()" that contains serverside code to update said Boolean values, in that tile entity class (the code can ONLY be run serverside as it accesses the worlds directly [3rd party API]). I will need the server to update the Boolean values every tick (for clientside rendering), however:

if(!FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide().isClient()){updateBools();}

if(FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide().isServer()){updateBools();}

and

if(this.worldObj.isRemote()){updateBools();}

don't work :(

If anybody could point me in the right direction, or at least let me know what I'm doing wrong, I'd be very grateful :D

EDIT: the 3 mentioned above are put into updateEntity()

Hi

Some code is only ever run on the server side, not the client side.  isRemote() will always return false in that case.

You need to put your updateBools in a method that is called on the client side.

Some more background information here

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/the-most-important-minecraft-classes.html

and

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/client-server-communication-using.html

-TGG

That's what I mean: I want the server to run updateBools() because the methods called inside are server-only, and won't run clientside without crashing.

When checking for isRemote() to be false in updateEntity(), the code never runs, so I need a way of making the server run the updateBools() method.

My code:

Boolean tileup = false;

Boolean tiledown = false;

Boolean tileleft = false;

Boolean tileright = false;

Boolean tilefront = false;

Boolean tileback = false;

public void updateBools(){

tileup = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord, yCoord+1, zCoord) != null;

tiledown = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord, yCoord-1, zCoord) != null;

tileleft = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord-1, yCoord, zCoord) != null;;

tileright = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord+1, yCoord, zCoord) != null;

tilefront = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord, yCoord, zCoord+1) != null;

tileback = EnergyNet.instance.getTileEntity(this.worldObj, xCoord, yCoord, zCoord-1) != null;

}

public void updateEntity(){

if(!FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide().isClient()){

updateBools();

}

}

(Spoiler wouldn't work :( )

If that makes sense... :/

I have a class called TileEntityWire extending TileEntity, it is registered in my main mod class, and it works fine apart from this rather large issue :(

I have overriden the updateEntity class, and have other functions working in it perfectly.

The only problem is - I cant get these shared boolean values to be updated by the server, because it isn't running my code

and delphi, the server does tick updateEntity() right?

Hi

updateEntity is called on both client and server side, assuming your TileEntity is properly registered and created on the server side as well as the client side.

Are you sure your updateEntity() is being called on the client side?  i.e. maybe it's not being called at all.

I would suggest you create a flat land, place your tile entity, then put a breakpoint into World.updateEntities and see why it gets called on the client but not on the server.  That should give you a more direct clue to the problem

-TGG

So, where is your tileentity registration code?

please show the code.

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityWire.class, "SCWireEntity");

So where is the registration code?

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements