An ID expansion addon?! (and other ideas)

DeathHammer000

Hello. My name is DeathHammer000.

I am a lover of mods (with 275 in my game and counting!). Yet there are things that trouble me and other like me...

1.7.2, I understand, was very hard for the Forge guys to update to. Modders also had trouble updating. In fact, I could only find 80 worthy mods for my 1.7.2 modpack and the 1.8 snapshots are already being released!

I, therefore, use 1.6.4. There are many more mods for this version, however, because of the sheer number of mods I have, I don't have enough block, entity and biome IDs left. And the Forge devs are not working on 1.6.4 anymore.

My idea is an ID expansion addon/patch which allows more IDs for EVERYTHING. Potions, enchantments, blocks, biomes... EVERYTHING.

I would appreciate it if someone could make this for Forge 9.11.1.965.

I would also like a mod backporting tool (modders are now concentrating on 1.7.2 and are adding features that will most likely never be in 1.6.4).

I really do hope that someone can make these tools.

Thank you.

No, as support for more IDs must be added by mojang.

We can do it, but it would mean breaking compatibility with vanilla worlds. So we won't.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

I'm not sure as to how that would occur; I'm pretty sure that Forge can store vanilla data (which vanilla can use) and mod data (which it can't) separately to avoid such things. The other option would be to change base files in Minecraft using Forge, but that would be very risky.

My logic also tells me that a block with ID 2788 should still register in a system with more IDs.

1.7.2, I understand, was very hard for the Forge guys to update to. Modders also had trouble updating. In fact, I could only find 80 worthy mods for my 1.7.2 modpack and the 1.8 snapshots are already being released!
It's been out long enough there is no excuse for modders to not have updated.

I, therefore, use 1.6.4. There are many more mods for this version, however, because of the sheer number of mods I have, I don't have enough block, entity and biome IDs left. And the Forge devs are not working on 1.6.4 anymore.
OMG you use a billion mods and your limited resources are taken up.. For shame!

My idea is an ID expansion addon/patch which allows more IDs for EVERYTHING. Potions, enchantments, blocks, biomes... EVERYTHING.

So... re-writing how the entire ID system and all related things work breaking all compatibility over the network, file saves, player data, etc... because you want more ids...

NEVER ask for support with old systems, it's your choice to use old versions. We do not support nore endorse it.

I would also like a mod backporting tool (modders are now concentrating on 1.7.2 and are adding features that will most likely never be in 1.6.4).
You.. want... a backporting... tool.. How exactly do you expect such a tool to work.... Seriously.... As for backporting in general, no, if you want new features/fixes/functionality UPDATE thats what updates are for. Not our problem if you don't feel like updating to another MC version.

I'm not sure as to how that would occur; I'm pretty sure that Forge can store vanilla data (which vanilla can use) and mod data (which it can't) separately to avoid such things.

And then when vanilla tries to read said data, because it physically cant store the numbers you're talking about it either overflows, reads missaligned, throws a negative bound error, or whatever side effect of whatever system was in place.

The other option would be to change base files in Minecraft using Forge, but that would be very risky.
Yes, very.. Not to mention screwing over compatibility with anything else out there for minecraft.

My logic also tells me that a block with ID 2788 should still register in a system with more IDs.
It would, but what happens to ID 5000 or 33000...

Ya, no, if you want new features, fixes, tools, update to the latest version.

If you want to use your old stuff that's fine, just have to work within the limitations of the system in place.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

When I found out that my post was locked by an admin, I felt resentment; I did not have the chance to explain what I meant in terms of the ID expansion system that I proposed and about what I meant.

So here's the comment and what I really meant to say:

"Hello. My name is DeathHammer000.

I am a lover of mods (with 275 in my game and counting!). Yet there are things that trouble me and other like me...

I really do hope that someone can make these tools.

Thank you."

When I was told that support must be added by Mojang, I thought of a solution - a separate storage system. I got this reply:

"And then when vanilla tries to read said data, because it physically cant store the numbers you're talking about it either overflows, reads missaligned, throws a negative bound error, or whatever side effect of whatever system was in place."

What I meant was for a system to be in place that prevents vanilla from reading the mod data, so that such errors/crashes are avoided. And even if you don't support it anymore, then there should still be someone willing to add support for an older version of Forge.

But I read the rest of the post from LexManos and got this remark: "OMG you use a billion mods and your limited resources are taken up.. For shame!"

How is having 275 mods a shameful thing?! I really did feel antagonised - and this was all because of a suggestion. I really do expect better - especially from an admin. And then to leave me with a locked post with no chance to explain what I mean (I admit, that was an error on my part) - I was outraged. A simple idea should not be met with something like this.

We are only a 4-strong moderation team, and Lex isn't known for being nice to people.

I strongly advise you read his post again, as he underlines the technical reasons why the things you're asking for won't work. It's not just saving of IDs itself, it's the network code and a whole lot of other shit that need to be modified to accomodate the changes you're asking for. All of which Forge will not do, as it is too invasive and we risk breaking saves and other mods.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.