this.mc.mcProfiler.endStartSection hooks

TheGreyGhost

Howdy

I had an idea the other day while browsing through vanilla looking for a suitable hook.

Perhaps

Profiler.endStartSection()

could be modified to act as an event handler.

For example, if I want to intercept the vanilla code flow so that I change the renderer settings immediately before rendering terrain

this.mc.mcProfiler.endStartSection("prepareterrain");
            this.setupFog(0, partialTick);
            GL11.glEnable(GL11.GL_FOG);
            this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(TextureMap.locationBlocksTexture);
            RenderHelper.disableStandardItemLighting();
            this.mc.mcProfiler.endStartSection("terrain");

// want to intercept here
            renderglobal.sortAndRender(entitylivingbase, 0, (double)partialTick);
            GL11.glShadeModel(GL11.GL_FLAT);
            EntityPlayer entityplayer;

I have previously called

Profiler.registerListener("terrain", myListenerObject);

so that the call to

this.mc.mcProfiler.endStartSection("terrain");

does something like

IProfilerListener listener = listenerHashMap.get(sectionString);
  if (listener != null) listener.eventOccurred();

I can't imagine no-one has thought of it before, but I couldn't find anything similar in the forums, and I'm not sure why, since it would be almost trivial to implement and I can't see any obvious drawbacks?

-TGG

Well...it is the profiler.

The server profiler can be stopped by the debug command.

True, and the reason I don't think that matters is because the vanilla code still makes the call to startSection even if profiling is off?

It also doesn't pass any variable at all. Apart from the profiler timing stuff, you'll have nothing to work on for your event.

That's true, and very often that doesn't matter because you can access what you need through Minecraft and other singletons, especially on the client.

If there's a suitable Forge event, that's obviously much better.  But if there isn't, then why not use all these pseudo-events scattered throughout vanilla, which you essentially get for free?

-TGG

Because there are A LOT of them, and hooking into them is not free. It's rather expensive.

HashMaps are slow, esp on strings.

Well I must admit I was skeptical but I tested it and you are right, it does make a measurable difference.

On my 4-year-old laptop, 36 seconds of gameplay resulted in 8.7 million calls to startSection with a total cost of 0.45 s for the hashmap get and null comparisons.

That's about 1% overhead which is not a lot but is probably not worth it.

-TGG

Expand upon that with the number of registered hooks skyrocket with more mods added, and therefor processing time.

I've worked hard at making our hooks into MC efficient and scaleable. A generic hook like this would be to costly.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Expand upon that with the number of registered hooks skyrocket with more mods added, and therefor processing time.

I've worked hard at making our hooks into MC efficient and scaleable. A generic hook like this would be to costly.

well, my testing was 'worst case' using a map with a registered entry for every single section name in vanilla, but given how insensitive HashMaps are to scaling I don't think it would improve much even if there were only a few sections registered.

Wouldn't be a problem if vanilla didn't call the section so many times, some of them 10,000 times per second...

But anyway, so far I've always managed to find a suitable way to insert into vanilla, without ASM even, so it's no big deal :-)

-TGG