how to build an item that can dynamically change its texture?

MarMan

My goal is to have something like a tablet computer in minecraft. Similar as the map (http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Map) it should change its texture dynamically. The screen should show information like found in the debug screen [F3]. (Yes, it would be superfluous, but much more pretty in my opinion.)

By way of illustration:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43694603/tablet.png

How can i bring ever-changing content (text...) on an item's texture?

Ok thank you very much! You seem to know how that works, but that was a really short explaination :D.

The only way adding item textures that i know is

new Item().setTextureName("ID:Name").

How is MapItemRenderer to be used, when i have an Item object and nothing else?

Furthermore i actually only need *text*, that is updated in certain time intervals and write it onto that texture. Realizing that using a RGB array might be overkill..

Is there maybe a more specific method?

Ok thank you very much! You seem to know how that works,

:-P well to be honest actually I'm just figuring this out as I go, plus a bit of background knowledge

but that was a really short explaination :D.

I wouldn't want to rob you of the satisfaction of a thrilling voyage of discovery :)

For me, a lot of the fun of programming minecraft is trying to pick my way through this incomprehensible swamp of vanilla code until it finally goes 'click' in my head and I understand how it works.  I think it's a very important skill for anyone who's going to try something more complicated than a new Block and a couple of recipes...

Furthermore i actually only need *text*, that is updated in certain time intervals and write it onto that texture. Realizing that using a RGB array might be overkill..

Is there maybe a more specific method?

If you just need text, that's relatively simple; you could try looking into the FontRenderer.  It's scattered all throughout the vanilla code, for example the debug screen in Minecraft.displayDebugInfo; or the number of items in an itemstack in RenderItem.renderItemOverlayIntoGUI()

-TGG

Now i'm stuck because i can not find a Forge Event that is fired when the player selects an item in the hotbar :(. Going through net.minecraftforge.event.* it seems like such an event doesn't exist.

Can somebody help, maybe describing a workaround for my intention?