[1.7.10] How can i make an item behave like a tool?

RYxINATORx314

I am wondering how to make an item behave like a tool, like have durability, be repairable via anvil, and cause damage like a sword? How can i accomplish such a task? Any and all help is appreciated, and I am new to modding so if you could show some sort of example code that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

Its real easy, but takes a few steps.

Durability, in your constructor:

setMaxStackSize(1);
setMaxDamage(128);

This prevents two copies from stacking on top of each other and tells the system how much durability the item has.

Repair:

@Override
public boolean getIsRepairable(ItemStack par1ItemStack, ItemStack par2ItemStack) {
}

Overrideing this function allows you to set custom repair options.  par2ItemStack is the repairing object (the iron ingot, etc.)

The default method may be sufficient if you're using standard materials (just make sure that your item has the tool material that is appropriate)

Damage:

This is the simplest way is to use the tool material.  Otherwise,

@Override
public Multimap getAttributeModifiers(ItemStack itemStack) {
    Multimap multimap = super.getAttributeModifiers(itemStack);
    multimap.put(SharedMonsterAttributes.attackDamage.getAttributeUnlocalizedName(), new AttributeModifier(field_111210_e, "Weapon modifier", (double)this.weaponDamage, 0));//replace this.weaponDamage with the value desired
    return multimap;
}

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

itemstack.damageItem(1, p); //where p is a reference to the player.  It is passed as the last parameter of onItemRightClick.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

thank you so much, you really are helpful

is it possible to make it subtract durability when attacking mobs and breaking blocks?

Yes, look at the Item class and look for functions that deal with those actions.  If you want some hints, here's an item that has all the important functions overriden for its purposes.

and one more question, how can i add lore to an item?

Override addInformation like this:

/**
     * allows items to add custom lines of information to the mouseover description
     */
    @Override
    public void addInformation(ItemStack par1ItemStack, EntityPlayer par2EntityPlayer, List par3List, boolean par4) {
    	if (par1ItemStack.stackTagCompound != null) {
            String lineOfLore = "Lore You Want To Add";

par3List.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_PURPLE + lineOfLore);
    	}
    }

Oh and if you want a different color, you can change

EnumChatFormatting.DARK_PURPLE

to the color you want. Hope this helps. :)

and one more question, how can i add lore to an item?

Override addInformation like this:

/**
     * allows items to add custom lines of information to the mouseover description
     */
    public void addInformation(ItemStack par1ItemStack, EntityPlayer par2EntityPlayer, List par3List, boolean par4) {
    	if (par1ItemStack.stackTagCompound != null) {
            String lineOfLore = "Lore You Want To Add";

par3List.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_PURPLE + lineOfLore);
    	}
    }

Oh and if you want a different color, you can change

EnumChatFormatting.DARK_PURPLE

to the color you want. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, and to multiple lines of lore?

also do you have a place where i can find a list of the colors?

Thanks, and to multiple lines of lore?

also do you have a place where i can find a list of the colors?

Well for multipe lines, add more of these:

par3List.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_PURPLE + 2ndLineOfLore);

As for a list of colors, they are in the EnumChatFormatting class. If your using eclipse like I am, you can simply place your cursor in front of the EnumChatFormatting (and behind the dot) and click Ctrl + SPACE on your keyboard, it will bring up a list of colors, well sort of. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :)

which is the correct import for list

java.util.List

If you import the wrong one, Eclipse will be like, "Hrm, the type I was expecting isn't matching" and throw an error.  In which case it can make a better guess and tell you what the right import is (it'll suggest a change, don't do that) and you can ctrl-z and then reimport the right thing.