How to show trace/debug log entries in output console?

Two

I've been searching through the logging configuration for a while but can't seem to figure out how to get the trace/debug output of my mod to log on the console output (what you see when hitting 'run' in your IDE). I can see that the stuff is logged properly to the file, just not to my console.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Mods

New Dawn - A completely new terrain engine for Minecraft

TwoTility - Blocks and Items for a better Minecraft

TwoGraves - Keeps your items safe on death

System.out.println("Your message here")

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

The benefit of not doing that is that you can leave important debug output inside the code, but have it hidden in release mode until you need it.

System.out will just pollute the output.

My Mods

Soooo... are you looking for the FMLLogger?  A compile directive?  What?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hey guys

Recently Bedrock_Miner asked a similar question:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=26383.0

I found the location of the log4j config file too, but this is read-only in the forge.jar.

I hope someone out there knows a solution.

Sincerely -pick

Since English is not my mother tongue, my sentences may are confusing.

I'm coding java for a long time now - just MC and forge stop me sometimes.

You can create your own Handler and Formatter for the Logger, allowing you to set what levels will be shown via logger.setLevel(Level.WHATEVER).

That's with the java.util.logging.Logger, though. I'm not sure how to do it with the Apache one, but I imagine it is similar.

If that's too much work for you, all logged messages (even TRACE and the like) are logged to a file on disk, such as 'eclipse/logs/fml-client-latest.txt', so you can use that for development debugging.

In theory - that's as far as I could figure out - there needs to be a log4j.xml file somewhere, in which some handler needs to be reconfigured in some way to output trace/debug log entries on the IDE console.

Italic font parts are those I wasn't able to figure out yet.

My Mods