[1.8] Auto-assigning block textures

SamTebbs33

Back in 1.7 an before, I had made a system that assigned textures to blocks with support for their names and having different textures for different sides of the block (the code would handle displaying the relevant side by using metadata based on rotation), but now that metadata has been abandoned and textures have to be designated in a .json file (WHY MOJANG!?!?!?!!?), this system is completely broken. What was great about my old system was that I only had to provide the textures in the resource path and then give each block an unlocalised name and the rest was processed by the mod. How would I achieve a similar system but using the new (annoying) .json system?

"Thinking that coding is the nerdy IT guy at work rebooting your computer is like thinking that music is what happens when the piano tuner comes round." - Ed Rex

One of the exact reasons why I've been advocating people NOT use 'unlocalized' names for shit.

The idea in 1.8 is to move your definition of blocks into json not code. So just make your jsons as needed.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Back in 1.7 an before, I had made a system that assigned textures to blocks with support for their names and having different textures for different sides of the block (the code would handle displaying the relevant side by using metadata based on rotation), but now that metadata has been abandoned and textures have to be designated in a .json file (WHY MOJANG!?!?!?!!?), this system is completely broken. What was great about my old system was that I only had to provide the textures in the resource path and then give each block an unlocalised name and the rest was processed by the mod. How would I achieve a similar system but using the new (annoying) .json system?

Personally I think the json is a much better way than before.  All that hardcoded render block switch statements, what a nightmare....  remove as much coding from block customisation as possible, put it back into the hands of folks creating the resourcepacks I reckon.  All "proper" commercial games are written that way- the coders code, the artists create content.

But if you really really want to do your autotexture assignment :), you can use ISmartBlockModel to do exactly the same thing as before.

-TGG

I think there are legitimate cases where code-based texture assignment makes more sense than JSON. With JSON you have to create properties to map all possibilities to textures, whereas like the OP said with code you could do something like having a large array of textures with file names that are algorithmically deterministic. Something that might take 10 lines of code could take hundreds, even thousands, lines of JSON.

The ISmartBlockModel sounds interesting, gotta have a look at that.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/