[Solved]Texture loading help for a newbie.

bullzeye24

Hello, I'm new to minecraft modding, and am relatively new to java as well. I have been working on adding a new item, and the item shows up fine. Its when i get to the texture that i have problems. I've checked the case on all of it and still no luck, so I'm posting here hoping one of you can help me out with this hurdle.

My file directory to the texture

Desktop\Gunfactory\src\main\resources\assets\gunfactory\textures\items\sulfur.png

My main item class.

package com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.Items;

import com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.reference.reference;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;
import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IIconRegister;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;

public class item extends Item {
    public item() {
        super();
    }
    @Override
    public String getUnlocalizedName()
    {
        return String.format("item.%s%s", reference.MOD_ID.toLowerCase()+":", getUnwrappedUnlocalizedName(super.getUnlocalizedName()));

}
    @Override
    public String getUnlocalizedName(ItemStack itemStack)
    {
        return String.format("item.%s%s", reference.MOD_ID.toLowerCase()+":", getUnwrappedUnlocalizedName(super.getUnlocalizedName()));
    }
    @Override
    @SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public void registerIcons(IIconRegister iconRegister)
    {
        itemIcon = iconRegister.registerIcon(this.getUnlocalizedName().substring(this.getUnlocalizedName().indexOf(":")+1));
    }
    protected String getUnwrappedUnlocalizedName(String unlocalizedName)
    {
        return unlocalizedName.substring(unlocalizedName.indexOf('.')+1);
    }
    }

My sulfur class

package com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.Items;

import com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.reference.reference;

public class Itemsulfur extends item {
    public Itemsulfur() {
        super();
        this.setUnlocalizedName("sulfur");
    }
}

My item registry class

package com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.init;

import com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.Items.Itemsulfur;
import com.bullzeye.Gunfactory.Items.item;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

public class moditems {
    public static final item Sulfur = new Itemsulfur();
    public static void init(){
        GameRegistry.registerItem(Sulfur,"Sulfur");
    }
}

My error

[Client thread/ERROR]: Using missing texture, unable to load minecraft:textures/items/sulfur.png

java.io.FileNotFoundException: minecraft:textures/items/sulfur.png

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Oh god.  I've seen this code before.

And it's a terrible, terrible way to do it.

Long story short: you're stripping your mod ID from your item's unlocalized name in order to register the texture name, which needs your mod ID.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thanks, i knew something was off. I"ve been following along with Pahimar's lets mod tutorials on youtube, since I'm new to all this. So if i add in the modid to the unlocalized name, it should register the texture?

edit...

Went back and tried it, man your a life saver. it was alot simpler than I thought. I guess I kept over complicating the issue. Thanks again.

I guess I kept over complicating the issue.

No, Pahimar overcomplicated it in an attempt to use two strings for fuckeverything.  Rather than doing it in a straightforward way that was easy to understand.

setUnlocalizedName("myThing");
setTextureName("myThingsTexture");

But no, he had to override getUnlocalizedName so that it would strip out the extra copy of the modID, then add it back in differently for texture registration...

It's so bad that nearly all the veterans around here recognize his work on sight.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Wow, here i was thinking that it was the right way.. lol . Thanks for opening my eyes to this. I wish i would have seen it sooner. Seems pointless to do all that when you can do it much simpler. I'm going to rewrite it, and get rid of all the excess garbage.

Wow, here i was thinking that it was the right way.. lol . Thanks for opening my eyes to this. I wish i would have seen it sooner. Seems pointless to do all that when you can do it much simpler. I'm going to rewrite it, and get rid of all the excess garbage.

Its not pointless.  It's so that he can change a single string instance and have it update across all usage.  Just that for unlocalized names and file references...you'd then have to update your lang file and file name.  If you really want to rename the block...its not that difficult.

The problem is that the way he does it is not newbie friendly.  A fresh hand at modding will see the line and go "ooh magic code..." and not understand what it does so when things go unexpected, they don't understand why.

"I told it to use texture name 'sulfur,' it's looking for minecraft:sulfur and can't find it" is a lot easier to solve when you realize you didn't specify your mod-ID.  There's a cause-effect relationship rather than four lines of gibberish.