[1.8.1] How does this work?

FlashBash21

After setting up my main mod file I am completely lost. I have no idea where to start or what to do. The code seems to have changed a ton(Y DO U HAVE TO CHANGE SO OFTEN). And to make it all better I can't find the source code for vanilla minecraft... yay *cries*. But in all seriousness, I need somewhere to get started, so anything that gives examples of the new code and can somewhat explain it or make it clear as to what it does or is used for would be fabuloooooooooous! Thanks.

How do you do?

And to make it all better I can't find the source code for vanilla minecraft... yay *cries*.

What command did you use to setup your workspace? Did you use gradlew setupDecompWorkspace or setupDevWorkspace? You need to use the decomp workspace if you want the source available.

If you do that, it should show up as a referenced library in your project with name forge-src

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

What command did you use to setup your workspace? Did you use gradlew setupDecompWorkspace or setupDevWorkspace? You need to use the decomp workspace if you want the source available.

If you do that, it should show up as a referenced library in your project with name forge-src

I'm positive I used setupDecompWorkspace, when I go under forgeSrc I don't get any source code, I do get assets, however.

How do you do?

If you use eclipse did you do this command: gradlew.bat eclipse?

No, I did not. I assume I run this in the command prompt inside my mod folder?

Uh huh.  Like it says in the readme.

(though you'll want setupDecompWorkspace, rather than the readme's setupDevWorkspace)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Uh huh.  Like it says in the readme.

Yep, and the source setup tutorial. :)

And yes you'll want to run the command in your mod folder. Here's a tip, once you are in your mod folder, click Shift+RightClick and select "open command window here". Then run the command. The you don't have to do "cd C:\Your\Mod\Directory\". It's faster.

setupDecompWorkspace

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Um, back on the subject of what to do once you've made your MainMod file...

Go to wuppy29's site:

http://www.wuppy29.com/minecraft/modding-tutorials/forge-modding-1-8/#sthash.GUAStUe5.dpbs

His tutorials are really useful and really accurate.

Also, please keep in mind:

getUnlocalizedName() returns name.[the unlocalizedname you set it to]

And when you call GameRegistry.registerItem(), register your item with its getUnlocalizedName().substring(5).

I took me something like 8 posts to figure this out- if you don't do this, your textures won't load.

Sup bruh.