Object[]s in Crafting Recipes

shadowfacts

I've seen people create crafting recipes both with and without Object arrays and I was wondering, are there any hidden pros/cons of using Object[]s and which is the recommended method?

It seems like it's just a matter of personal coding style, but for all I know, it might affect something.

-Shadowfacts

Don't make mods if you don't know Java.

Check out my website: http://shadowfacts.net

Developer of many mods

I've seen people create crafting recipes both with and without Object arrays and I was wondering, what are the pros/cons of using Object[]s (if any) and which is the recommended method?

-Shadowfacts

Pros: can accept various parameters for the recipe, it gives more degree of freedom to the form of the recipe.

Cons: High possibility of Illegal Argument Exception.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

How does it give more freedom, with and without the Object array, the code is functionally identical.

GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(new ItemStack(EFItems.lightBulb), "GGG", "GOG", "III", 'G', Blocks.glass, 'O', Items.gold_ingot, 'I', Items.iron_ingot);

is functionally equivalent to

GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(new ItemStack(EFItems.lightBulb), new Object[] {"GGG", "GOG", "III", 'G', Blocks.glass, 'O', Items.gold_ingot, 'I', Items.iron_ingot});

Don't make mods if you don't know Java.

Check out my website: http://shadowfacts.net

Developer of many mods

How does it give more freedom, with and without the Object array, the code is functionally identical.

GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(new ItemStack(EFItems.lightBulb), "GGG", "GOG", "III", 'G', Blocks.glass, 'O', Items.gold_ingot, 'I', Items.iron_ingot);

is functionally equivalent to

GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(new ItemStack(EFItems.lightBulb), new Object[] {"GGG", "GOG", "III", 'G', Blocks.glass, 'O', Items.gold_ingot, 'I', Items.iron_ingot});

Oh so you are talking about that. Actually there is no difference between them, so that's a matter of choice.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

It makes no difference. But it is a varargs parameter, so why use the Object[]?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/