[1.7.10] Changing block metadata on rightclick

Electrobob99

I wanted to know if it is possible to use the onBlockActivated method to change the metadata of a custom block. This is the current contents of onBlockActivated of which I tried:

int test = w.getBlockMetadata(i, j, k);
	if (!w.isRemote){
		w.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(i, j, j, 1, 3);
	}
	return false;

Trying to use it to change the block's bound depending on metadata value. It's probably a simple issue to be honest xD

Member of Aerotech Networks, a Multi-Gaming server.

Also Currently porting the "Rise of the Automatons" minecraft mod

Ok, this works now. Here is a new question I have, how would I make my block's metadata change in a constant time. Like if I wanted it to change every 20 seconds. I already have an idea on how to make it stop at a set metadata as to not constantly increment, but I don't know how to make it change metadata at set times... What I mean is I don't want it to randomly change.

Probably a better way, but I would create a TileEntity for the block, and then in the updateEntity() method you can time it. updateEntity() is called every tick, and there are 20 ticks in a second.

Well, with the amount of blocks I plan to have this attibute, I don't think a tile entity would be a good option sadly :( . So anyone have an idea on how to make a block do what I want it to do, from my post above this replied post?

Dang, because I was hoping I could make 100 blocks with this similar property. Welp, if needed I could either make less blocks, or just let it be random.

Well, just do it more often... In your TE onUpdate method.

Ok, but what if I wanted to make a sapling, or plant grow faster by default? Would I have to make a Tile Entity? Or would it be possible to do it as just a block. Would I use random.nextInt() with a greater range, equaling a larger set of numbers to increase chance of growth?

You can't increase the number of times the random tick happens. So if that is not often enough you need a TileEntity.

Well, I am happy.. Found out there was away to make it seem to be less random without tile entity... just used the world.scheduleBlockUpdate() method. Seems to work exactly how I wanted it. Set it to a 100 tick rate and it took 5 seconds to make the changes. :D