[1.8] how to properly get all the info a block

DJD

What is the best way to take a block that exists in the world and generate all the known info about that block (including its current states, etc) ?

I can get the Base state (and then there's default state- not really sure what the real difference is but I'm sure its something crucial) and list its IProperties, but not the current value that they are set to.

I think it would clarify (at least in my mind) the proper way to use Blockstates and IBlockStates to do things in world.

Maybe its just late here for me or I really am confused... Probably both.... :D

I don't keep an open mind lest someone try to fill it with garbage - Mark Twain

Use

World#getBlockState

to get the current block state at the specified position, then use

IBlockState#getValue

to get the value of each property.

Some blocks have properties that aren't stored in the metadata (e.g. connection state of panes), you can use

Block#getExtendedState

to get an

IBlockState

with the actual values of these properties.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I think my confusion is that since I'm new to modding this game, the previous version (1.7) did things differently and when I look for examples, I get stuff that's for the previous version.

The info out there seems a bit muddled right now for a newbie, and depending on which version you are modding for. I'm sure things will clear up just in time for 1.9 to hit :D

I've got a basic mod working (proxies, commands, extended player properties etc) and a very basic cut/paste model (that's where I need to get and save all the properties of the blockstate). Now I want to get a list of each block selected and its various properties (in vanilla of course).....

So much to do :D

I don't keep an open mind lest someone try to fill it with garbage - Mark Twain