1.8 Help Custom Dimension

Shiva92

Hi all.

On internet, i'm still trying to figure out how to create a custom dimension. But all people talk only about how to generate ore in a dimension already exist " like -1, 0 , 1 or work with other mods".

I not understand which is the structure/constructor for say at forge "this a my dimension ". And the comments/javadocs for understand this are poor... T_T.

If somebody have some tutorial/guide for get how forge want i can do this, thank you all..

Sry for my english, but i still learn..

make your dreams come true!

I found that creating a custom dimension is surprisingly easy. Just doing this:

public void registerDimensionId() {

if (!this.registeredDimension) {
                         // Your dimension id might already be taken by another mod, so this helps avoid conflicts
		customDimensionId = DimensionManager.getNextFreeDimId();
		DimensionManager.registerDimension(customDimensionId, 1);
	}

}

Appears to work. That's just registering the dimension with the Hell provider.

Then, on ore generation, just check for the dimension id of your dimension.

Creating a world provider is a bit more involved, but not necessary if you just a dimension with different ore generation.

With all due respect, sir: I do, what I do, the way I do it. ~ MacGyver

I get it how register my dimension ( and thanks for the tip ) but i want minimum start from a custom dimension empty. And so after start more involved how create crazy dimensions !.

But i mean how completely create a dimension. There is something like a " map " can say how many things need a world to be a world?.

For now i just understand a dimension has need: WorldChunkManager,ChunkProvider and a WorldType.

But many functions are like " f_manynumbers_number " so is hard understand, at least a bit, what each function do.

Idk what do D: ..

I get it how register my dimension ( and thanks for the tip ) but i want minimum start from a custom dimension empty. And so after start more involved how create crazy dimensions !.

But i mean how completely create a dimension. There is something like a " map " can say how many things need a world to be a world?.

For now i just understand a dimension has need: WorldChunkManager,ChunkProvider and a WorldType.

But many functions are like " f_manynumbers_number " so is hard understand, at least a bit, what each function do.

Idk what do D: ..

By custom new dimension, do you mean one that has no biomes, nothing generated?

With all due respect, sir: I do, what I do, the way I do it. ~ MacGyver

By custom new dimension, do you mean one that has no biomes, nothing generated?

Yes. Just a empty world. Like a " base " for me for start after add things.

I get it the classes like WorldGenBigTree and stuff like these for use into biome/chunks.

But, also, still i not get what is the ChunkPrimer and the NoiseGenerator. On GitHub, not many ppl say why they are called. I just understand the ChunkPrimer is just b4 of a chunk on load ingame.

Yea, i still read from eclipse all these classes for try2make something. :S

Just so I understand correctly, you want to create a void dimension - just so you can add everything back in manually? That seems like an awfully convoluted way about doing things...

If anyone has a comprehensive, visual guide to GUIs - don't hesitate to message me. They make my head spin.

From the sound of it, I am guessing Shiva doesn't want to "put everything back" the way vanilla  Minecraft does.

Ripping out biomes, event cancelling galore, deleting existing structures, replacing ravines, etc is a convoluted way to have a dimension with only elevated plains, flat desserts, lava oceans, and villages on stone pillars for example.

I agree with you if it's just adding or removing features to vanilla biomes, as they are positioned, shaped and decorated. But it's pithy to start from scratch if you don't like how vanilla places and shapes biomes and fills layers 0 to sealevel for example.

I too would like to know better the purpose of the ChunkPrimer beyond it being a primer for a chunk.

These days, I dont understand which is the structure so that I can create a dimension in forge.

If is the way of vanilla or forge, i don't care. I just want understand how create a simple world so i can customize. But I rather think I must improve myself in java. I read many projects, but i not get which are the things important for a dimension, at least, " work ".