[SOLVED][1.8] Rendering 2D Entity

Furgl

Essentially, I'm trying to recreate particles as entities. The main reason I'm trying to do this is so I can use Entity's onImpact() method to do server-side things, like setting an entity on fire (whereas particles are client-side).

In order to render these 2D entities, do I need to:

[*]Use an item-based renderer and create a new item for every particle (like every vanilla ThrowableEntity does)

[*]Use a model-based renderer and create a model (that I would probably have to make 2D and always face the player)

Or is there a way to render a texture in 2D without using an item or model?

You'd do #2 sort of, except that you would manually interface with the tessellator to draw your camera-facing quad.  Take a look at how nametags are drawn.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Oh god... I am too damn lazy to explain everything about renderers, so... Catch!

/**
* @author Ernio
*/
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public class RenderThrowable extends Render
{
ResourceLocation rl = new ResourceLocation(ModID + ":" + "textures/something/" + "test" + ".png");

public RenderThrowable(RenderManager rm)
{
	super(rm);
}

public void doRender(EntityThrowable entity, double x, double y, double z, float f, float partialTicks)
{
	GlStateManager.pushMatrix();
	GlStateManager.translate((float) (x), (float) (y), (float) (z));
	GlStateManager.enableRescaleNormal();
	GlStateManager.rotate(-this.renderManager.playerViewY, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);
	GlStateManager.rotate(this.renderManager.playerViewX, 1.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F);
	GL11.glScalef(entity.getScale(), entity.getScale(), entity.getScale());
	this.bindEntityTexture(entity);
	float fix = 0.00390625F;
	int xOffset = (entity.getIconIndex() % 16) * 16;
	int yOffset = (entity.getIconIndex() % 256) * 16;
	Tessellator tess = Tessellator.getInstance();
	WorldRenderer wr = tess.getWorldRenderer();
	wr.startDrawingQuads();
	wr.setNormal(0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F);
	wr.addVertexWithUV((-0.5F), (0.6F), 0.0F, (xOffset + 0) * fix, (yOffset + 16) * fix);
	wr.addVertexWithUV((0.5F), (0.6F), 0.0F, (xOffset + 16) * fix, (yOffset + 16) * fix);
	wr.addVertexWithUV((0.5F), (-0.4F), 0.0F, (xOffset + 16) * fix, (yOffset + 0) * fix);
	wr.addVertexWithUV((-0.5F), (-0.4F), 0.0F, (xOffset + 0) * fix, (yOffset + 0) * fix);
	tess.draw();
	GlStateManager.disableRescaleNormal();
	GlStateManager.popMatrix();

super.doRender(entity, x, y, z, f, partialTicks);
}

protected ResourceLocation getResource(EntityThrowable entity)
{
	return rl;
}

@Override
protected ResourceLocation getEntityTexture(Entity entity)
{
	return this.getResource((EntityThrowable) entity);
}

@Override
public void doRender(Entity entity, double x, double y, double z, float f, float partialTicks)
{
	this.doRender((EntityThrowable) entity, x, y, z, f, partialTicks);
}
}

ClientProxy#init():

RenderingRegistry.registerEntityRenderingHandler(CustomEntityThrowable.class, new RenderThrowable(Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderManager()));

And btw - this shit right there is badlwy written. I could fix some things, but again - I am lazy. :P

As to what it does - it literally grabs ResourceLocation provided and renders it FLAT (2d) in center of entity facing player.

Note that this system is designed to grab 16x16 textures from 256x256 sheet (ResourceLocation) on index based on:

int xOffset = (entity.getIconIndex() % 16) * 16;
int yOffset = (entity.getIconIndex() % 256) * 16;

So go figure :P

To do it for items (grap item texture) look at ItemRenderer classes. Also - for it to work with item (and not pure RL like above), yo uwill need to put texture in texture sheet using TextureStitchEvent (or whatver).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements