[1.8.9] Custom fluids

blahblahbal

I've run into a problem creating a custom fluid, and since there are no 1.8.9 tutorials (that I know of... if there are, please point me there) for doing that, I have no recourse but to post here. I followed the 1.7.2 tutorial for it (this one), but the log says that there should be model files for my fluid. I have no point of reference in doing this because vanilla apparently has no model jsons for lava or water (at least, that I can find).

Anyway, what's happening is that the fluid flows just fine, it just doesn't have the proper texture in either the inventory or in the world. If I should post code, I'll be glad to, but I'm not sure it's necessary since I followed the aforementioned 1.7.2 tutorial as closely as I could.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know of any tutorials, but I do have working example code. You can see my fluid creation code here, my model registration code here and my blockstates file here.

ModFluids.registerFluids

is called in preInit from

TestMod3

(the class with the

@Mod

annotation),

ModModelManager.registerAllModels

is called in preInit from the client proxy (after everything else has been registered).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

That mostly worked, but I can't get the bucket to work. It also broke the vanilla buckets when I added my bucket. FluidRegistry.addBucketForFluid() didn't work(as in, it doesn't exist in FluidRegistry). I had to use FluidContainerRegistry.registerFluidContainer().

For some reason it (adding a fluid the way you did it) also conflicts with another mod I'm using, the xray mod by AmbientOcclusion. I really have no clue why it would conflict, but I guess that's because I can't see the source for that mod.

EDIT: The liquid also flows weirdly with water. I wanted it to make cobblestone when it hits water in any way (like lava hitting water) and another block when it hits lava (in any way).

If the method doesn't exist, update Forge.

If adding fluids using Forge's API conflicts with a mod, that mod is probably doing some weird stuff to the Minecraft code that's breaking Forge. I can't really provide support for closed-source JAR mods/coremods like OptiFine or this Xray mod.

I haven't tried to add mixing effects with Water/Lava, but you can probably do it in a similar fashion to

BlockLiquid#checkForMixing

(called from

Block#onNeighborBlockChange

).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Updating Forge fixed that method not existing. It did not, however, fix the bucket problem. When I right click the bucket I registered as an item on the ground, nothing except it 'bouncing' happens (the thing that happens when you would normally place a block, but happens with them if you're occupying the location of the block you're trying to place).

I tried putting the mixing methods in ModFluids and making that class extend BlockLiquid, but that didn't work. Should those methods go somewhere other than in ModFluids?

Updating Forge fixed that method not existing. It did not, however, fix the bucket problem. When I right click the bucket I registered as an item on the ground, nothing except it 'bouncing' happens (the thing that happens when you would normally place a block, but happens with them if you're occupying the location of the block you're trying to place).

My code works, so I'm not sure what you've done wrong.

Upload your fluid-related code on Gist/Pastebin (with syntax highlighting) or your whole mod on GitHub/BitBucket and link it here.

I tried putting the mixing methods in ModFluids and making that class extend BlockLiquid, but that didn't work. Should those methods go somewhere other than in ModFluids?

ModFluids

is only for the initialisation and registration of fluids. Any in-world behaviour of the fluid needs to be handled by the fluid's

IFluidBlock

class.

BlockLiquid

is only for vanilla liquids. Mod fluids need to use Forge's fluid classes.

Create a class that extends an existing implementation of

IFluidBlock

(e.g.

BlockFluidClassic

BlockFluidFinite

) and override

Block#onNeighborBlockChange

to check for mixing. Create an instance of this class instead of an existing one when registering your fluid.

*snip*

My code works, so I'm not sure what you've done wrong.

Upload your fluid-related code on Gist/Pastebin (with syntax highlighting) or your whole mod on GitHub/BitBucket and link it here.

Here's the whole mod on GitHub:  https://github.com/blahblahbal/Blah-s-Minecraft-Mod

Fluid code is in the main directory and ModBlockFluid is in blahmod.blocks.

I've run into a small problem that I think I've fixed; it's related to checking if the fluid is the right one for the mixing code. I haven't tested yet, though, so I don't know if I've fixed it. Wait... since vanilla liquids don't run the code I've added, they would 'ignore' it, and as such not be futzed with even if I don't check for a block type, right?

Nevermind about the xray mod incompatibility, it was that I had updated the config file for that mod (to work with the 1.9 version) and the 1.8.9 version of the xray mod couldn't read it.

Anyway, I'm still stumped about the liquid... it doesn't have a 'current' and I can't jump out of it if I can't touch the bottom of a pool of it.

it doesn't have a 'current' and I can't jump out of it if I can't touch the bottom of a pool of it.

That's because both of those factors are handled by EntityBase#onEntityUpdate

They check the current block that the entity is in, and if that block's material is water, you get pushed (and get a drown meter).  If it's lava, you get set on fire.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• 9 months later...

it doesn't have a 'current' and I can't jump out of it if I can't touch the bottom of a pool of it.

That's because both of those factors are handled by EntityBase#onEntityUpdate

They check the current block that the entity is in, and if that block's material is water, you get pushed (and get a drown meter).  If it's lava, you get set on fire.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I got bored of Minecraft xD.

Anyway, this does not help. I have no clue how to override those methods, or where to put said overrides. There are no tutorials for fluids that work to slow the player and mobs.

And the reason I'm posting from another account is because I forgot my password, and the reset password thing isn't sending me an email -_-.