Client only build possible?

Zethariel

Hello,

Just a quick question - is it possible to build(compile) a mod that has only client-side code, making the server part exclusive to another build? The reason for this is that I'd like for some features to be available later for the general public, instead of hosts grabbing the latest version and taking traffic away from my minecraft server.

I do pony stuff :3

That's going to be very complicated to create compared to a universal mod. You could just create a file kind of like the minecraft server EULA that requires the server admin to put in a certain code for the mod to work.

- Just because things are the way they are doesn't mean they can't be the way you want them to be. Unless they're aspen trees. You can tell they're aspens 'cause the way they are.

In simple words: Nooope.

In bit longer:

Nothing stops you from coding in 2 separate packages and compiling once, then packing to 2 different .jars.

You just have to make sure to not cross-reference stuff.

I for one have 4 mods(@Mod) in my workspace - API, Common, Client and Server. Logically - You always need API and Base + one of two sided mods to run stuff on proper side. But to simply add on your own stuff (for devs) you can just work with API.

When compiling I just grab packages and throw them in 3 Jars: API.jar, Server.jar (common+server packages), Client.jar (common+client packages)

+ There is some trickery with side only stuff, but that is my magic.

In final case:

Everything is possible, nothing stops you from learning how to use build script and write what should be put where or in what .jars.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.