[SOLVED] Forge 1.9 - TileEntitySpecialRenderer - Rendering with VertexBuffer

mlugg

Hi,

I am trying to make a TileEntitySpecialRender render a cube (currently with the TextureMap.LOCATION_MISSING_TEXTURE texture) On a TileEntity. I have not modded much in the past, and am brand new to VertexBuffers, so chances are my code is stupid & I am doing everything wrong (seriously, I copied and pasted some old code and tried to make it work). Currently, the texture is being rendered in the sky, HOWEVER it is relative to the player. Here is my current code (contained in a function which launches in renderTileEntityAt):

GlStateManager.color(1F, 1F, 1F);
	Tessellator tessellator = Tessellator.getInstance();
	VertexBuffer wr = tessellator.getBuffer();
	wr.begin(7, DefaultVertexFormats.POSITION_TEX);
	wr.pos(6, 12, 0).tex(0, 1).endVertex();
	wr.pos(12, 12, 0).tex(1, 1).endVertex();
	wr.pos(12, 6, 0).tex(1, 0).endVertex();
	wr.pos(6, 6, 0).tex(0, 0).endVertex();
	tessellator.draw();

If anyone could help / give me tips on how this system works that would be great.

Thanks in advance

- Matthew

You have to translate to the position passed in to the

renderTileEntityAt

(see the vanilla TESRs for examples).

Why is this a TESR though? You don't need a TESR for anything that does not move.

Its entirely possible he's doing something simple so that the required parts about "translating to the TE's position" is handled before importing a complex moving thing.

But yes, if the end-goal isn't going to animate, then there's no need for a TESR.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

renderTileEntityAt

Why is this a TESR though? You don't need a TESR for anything that does not move.

renderTileEntityAt

Its entirely possible he's doing something simple so that the required parts about "translating to the TE's position" is handled before importing a complex moving thing.

But yes, if the end-goal isn't going to animate, then there's no need for a TESR.

I'm just attempting to create energy pipes, like you see in many mods, by basing it off of an old 1.7.2 tutorial. What is the better way of doing this?

Thanks again :)

Yeah, pipes can be done via the static models system now, IIRC.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Techne is not a "proper modelling software". It only exports into a random proprietary file (".techne").

Fair enough. But can't it be done with the .java class it can output the model into? And if not, how do I implement a model made with some other modelling software?

Create a JSON model in a program like MrCrayfish's Model Creator or an OBJ/B3D model in a mainstream 3D modelling program like 3ds Max or Blender and use the standard baked model system used by most blocks/items.

Block models are specified by blockstates files. I have an explanation of the model loading process here.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Create a JSON model in a program like MrCrayfish's Model Creator or an OBJ/B3D model in a mainstream 3D modelling program like 3ds Max or Blender and use the standard baked model system used by most blocks/items.

Block models are specified by blockstates files. I have an explanation of the model loading process here.

Thank you! I am creating the model now in MrCrayfish's Model Creator. Thanks for your help!

OK, last question. I now have a rendering block with a custom model, with no trace of a TileEntity. But how can I set the hitbox of the block, so that standing on top of the block you don't hover above the model and so that the box that shows around the object when you palce your cursor over it is smaller? This seems to have previously been setBlockBounds, but that has been removed, so I assume it is done via JSON now.

Bounding boxes are still handled in code. Override

Block#getBoundingBox

to return your block's bounding box.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.