[Solved] Java 8 Method Reference Operator NullPointerException

TheXFactor117

I'm trying to use this new operator: RenderingRegistry.registerEntityRenderingHandler(EntityMagic.class, RenderModProjectile::new); - yet Eclipse throws a NullPointerException at it for some reason, even though Eclipse is targeting Java 8. Anyone know why this is happening? The compiler settings in Eclipse are all set to 1.8, yet for whatever reason using RenderModProjectile::new doesn't seem to work.

Developer of Levels and Lost Eclipse

There is no crash running Minecraft. Eclipse throws a NullPointerException trying to build the workspace.

Only thing I can find is this:

Internal compiler error: java.lang.NullPointerException at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.ReferenceExpression.isPotentiallyCompatibleWith(ReferenceExpression.java:

962)

Updating Eclipse just seems to throw a new error, saying The target type of this expression must be a functional interface. This doesn't make any sense because other people registering entities this way don't seem to get any issues. Is it still an issue with Eclipse even though it's updated? Or perhaps it's an issue with my Render class?

I'm still trying to figure out a way around this:

RenderingRegistry.registerEntityRenderingHandler(EntityProjectile.class, RenderProjectile::new);

This throws the following error: The target type of this expression must be a functional interface

I don't understand how this error is getting thrown when other people are using the same exact code and is working perfectly fine for them. I'm still assuming it's an issue with Eclipse somehow, but I don't understand why Eclipse would be throwing this error either, even after updating it. Not too sure if this is an issue with Forge or not, but hopefully I can at least get pointed into the right direction.

new RenderProjectile()

?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Yup, I ultimately just used this as a test because the super constructor only requires a RenderManger parameter. Ideally I would use something similar to RenderSnowball, which I'm currently testing out now. I feel like this should fix up the issue, and is just an error on Eclipse's part hopefully.