Implementing features of a vanilla block/entity on a custom entity/block

hoodwink_dude

I am trying to make a refining mod and so I will be making it so that the ores can be refined to produce more end ingots/minerals. This is going to prove challenging with refining redstone so I was wondering if there was a way to implement the functionality of vanilla redstone into the custom redstone I am making. I was thinking it might be something like making a class that interfaces/implements the redstone class. Please remember that I am not an advanced modder and so base class editing is going to have to be the last resort.

Also, I will want to add the functionality (eg crafting usage for iron etc, dye colour for lapis lazuli) of the items

Thanks in advance and would love a soon response as I am making the textures I need so I need to know whether I can do all this or not

I love solving puzzles and also coding. What a great combo! I also want to have a career in programming when I have gone through university. 9GAG and Quora stand in the way of me ascending from mediocre programmer to ...meh programmer and beyond!

I am always looking for fun projects to look at and maybe be a part of. If you have a project and want to co-operate, email me via [email protected]

Keep coding :)

Minecraft Forge doesn't support editing Base Classes, and what do you mean, are you going to override the vanilla items/blocks.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Minecraft Forge doesn't support editing Base Classes, and what do you mean, are you going to override the vanilla items/blocks.

No, I am trying to make 'refined' versions of the items. It is so that it will be possible to get more from minerals but I don't want to remove the current mineral functionality as it would make it harder for survival. I would want give my custom items the abilities/functions of the existing ones so they can be used in unison. So for example:

Iron pickaxe: I = vanilla iron ingot, R = refined iron ingot, s = stick

I R I        R I R        R R R        I I I

S            S              S              S

S            S              S              S

As you can see, I want it so that it can be mixed and matched.

I love solving puzzles and also coding. What a great combo! I also want to have a career in programming when I have gone through university. 9GAG and Quora stand in the way of me ascending from mediocre programmer to ...meh programmer and beyond!

I am always looking for fun projects to look at and maybe be a part of. If you have a project and want to co-operate, email me via [email protected]

By the way, thanks for the fast reply

Your welcome for the fast reply, why are you wanting to make a new redstone. Are you gonna give redstone a stronger signal or something? Or is it going to do the same thing?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Your welcome for the fast reply, why are you wanting to make a new redstone. Are you gonna give redstone a stronger signal or something? Or is it going to do the same thing?

It is going to do the same thing. Like I said, I want them to work in unison. It would be ideal for it to be compatible with things from other mods that require the materials but not completely necessary.

You could just make a new block and make it extend BlockRedstoneWire, and if you want it to work in other mods crafting recipes as their vanilla counterpart you should be able to register them in the OreDictionary.

You could just make a new block and make it extend BlockRedstoneWire, and if you want it to work in other mods crafting recipes as their vanilla counterpart you should be able to register them in the OreDictionary.

OreDictionary? How would that make it so that eg the refined Iron Ingot is recognised as compatible with vanilla Iron Ingot?

I believe the point of ore dictionary was to make it so other mods could interact with items of the "same type" from other mods, and it automatically says this ironIngot = this ironIngot when dealing with crafting.

So lets say I am playing with IC2 and Thermal Expansion they both add a copper ingot. I want to craft something that uses copper from TE, but I only have copper from IC2 what do I do. Thus OreDictionary was born.

I believe the point of ore dictionary was to make it so other mods could interact with items of the "same type" from other mods, and it automatically says this ironIngot = this ironIngot when dealing with crafting.

So lets say I am playing with IC2 and Thermal Expansion they both add a copper ingot. I want to craft something that uses copper from TE, but I only have copper from IC2 what do I do. Thus OreDictionary was born.

... The makers of forge are gods!

I agree I'm not sure if I would be capable of this right now and I have had multiple years of learning Java and other programming languages.

It is going to be in Minecraft 1.8.9 so... yeah. Better for the blocks because of the models thingy

Actually you are going to have to make those yourself. And if you are already using 1.8 you should update to 1.10

Yeah I am. And why update to 1.10 when the mod is basically for me and my brother to use in survival with other mods.

If it turns out to be a useful mod for us then I might release it and update to the other versions but for now, it will just be for 1.8.9