[1.10] [SOLVED] Accessing stone variants

swordkorn

OK so I'm either being incredibly thick or just plain blind but I can't for the life of me figure out how to call the stone variants when checking the item in my player's hand correctly. getStateFromMeta is deprecated (and only returned the wrong one anyway so that's useless...) so I was wondering if anyone can help me out?

Thanks for the detailed reply Koward but I have already tried that for several hours now.

Here's a snippet of my code:

Item item = heldItem.getItem();

if (item == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.ANDESITE)))

The error message states it needs a block and this code returns a BlockState which is incompatible.

You see my issue?

I'm sorry, I read your post too fast.

Use EntityPlayer : public ItemStack getHeldItemMainhand() (or Offhand if you want).

You get an ItemStack, which has a metadata value. Use ItemStack : public int getMetadata(), and compare it with the metadata of one of the BlockStone.EnumType you want (getMetadata() too).

This way, no deprecation at all, you're as ready as possible for the future.

Hi

@SwordKorn you can do it the way you were trying, it's just a bit more involved.

ItemStack heldItem = entityPlayer.getHeldItemMainhand();
    IBlockState iBlockStateAndesite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.ANDESITE);
    Item itemStone = Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.STONE);
    ItemStack itemStackAndesite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateAndesite));  // see Block.getItem()
    boolean heldItemIsAndesite = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, itemStackAndesite);

I think Koward's suggestion is probably clearer.

-TGG

Both excellent suggestions and I tried them both.

Sad to report it doesn't work though so I'll expand on my code for reference:

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand, @Nullable ItemStack heldItem, EnumFacing side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
        if (heldItem == null) {
            return false;
        }else{
            if (!world.isRemote) {
                if (world.getBlockState(pos) == BlockReg.tableBlock0.getDefaultState()) {

if (item == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.COBBLESTONE)) {
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock1.getDefaultState());
                    }

if (item == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.STONE)) {
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock2.getDefaultState());
                        System.out.println("Boolean is FALSE" + itemIsAndesite + itemIsGranite + itemIsDiorite);
                    }

if (item == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.STONEBRICK)) {
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock3.getDefaultState());
                    }

/*if (itemIsAndesite) {
                        heldItem = andesite;
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock4.getDefaultState());
                        System.out.println(heldItem);
                    }

if (itemIsDiorite) {
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock5.getDefaultState());
                        System.out.println("Boolean is TRUE");
                    }

if (itemIsGranite) {
                        world.setBlockState(pos, BlockReg.tableBlock6.getDefaultState());
                    }*/
                }
            }
            return true;
        }
    }

You are not comparing metadata from the stacks so what you are doing is hey is this a ston block which will be true for diorite andesite granite and smooth stone.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

Well no, I'm not anymore. I took TheGreyGhost's code advice and implemented that to no avail so I removed that block of code.

Sufficed to say; when I was using that code the boolean states never switched from false defaulting to the main STONE conditional.

Oh sorry diesie... I will. Let me rewrite it and I'll modify this post when I've reimplemented everything

EDIT

@Override
    public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityPlayer player, EnumHand hand, @Nullable ItemStack heldItem, EnumFacing side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ) {
        if (heldItem == null) {
            return false;
        }else{
            if (!world.isRemote) {
                    heldItem = player.getHeldItemMainhand();

IBlockState iBlockStateAndesite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.ANDESITE);
                    IBlockState iBlockStateGranite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.GRANITE);
                    IBlockState iBlockStateDiorite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.DIORITE);

ItemStack andesite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateAndesite));
                    ItemStack granite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateGranite));
                    ItemStack diorite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateDiorite));

boolean itemIsAndesite = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, andesite);
                    boolean itemIsGranite = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, granite);
                    boolean itemIsDiorite = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, diorite);

}

if (item == Item.getItemFromBlock(Blocks.STONE)) {
                        System.out.println(itemIsAndesite + " " + itemIsGranite + " " + itemIsDiorite);
                    }

}

if (itemIsAndesite) {
                    }

if (itemIsDiorite) {
                    }

if (itemIsGranite) {
                    }
                }
            }
            return true;
        }
    }

if (!world.isRemote) {

IBlockState iBlockStateStone = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.STONE);
                    IBlockState iBlockStateGranite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.GRANITE);
                    IBlockState iBlockStateDiorite = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.DIORITE);

ItemStack stone = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateStone));
                    ItemStack andesite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateAndesite));
                    ItemStack granite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateGranite));
                    ItemStack diorite = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateDiorite));

boolean itemIsStone = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, stone);

}

if (itemIsStone) {
                    }

if (itemIsAndesite) {
                    }

if (itemIsGranite) {
                    }

if (itemIsDiorite) {
                    }

}
                }
            }
            return true;
        }

Well actually... now that I think about it...

Every ItemStack variant calls on itemStone which only checks for the default state of Stone in the player's hand. Therefore calling on itemStone may make them only actve when the default variant is located. In which case, I'm back to square one more or less.

Well I have deduced that:

May be the reason only the default state activates all booleans. I came to this conclusion when I looked at:

ItemStack stone = new ItemStack(itemStone, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateStone));

As you can see, every instance of the ItemStack calls on the default variant and as my IDE so kindly pointed out;

"Argument 'itemStone' might be null"

So... OH I get you!

So the metadata is returning the stack size! That makes perfect sense now I think about it! Good catch Diesie!

Hmm... so now it comes down to a way to simply ignore that value or set it to an integer value that just fills in a value based on reading the stack size in the slot.

I'll do some more messing around and let you know what I come up with.

Well that was incredibly simple once you pointed that out diesie!

Here's my code for people wanting to know how I made this work and I'm marking this as solved! Thanks very much everyone for all your help!

@Override
        if (heldItem == null) {
            return false;
        }else{
            if (!world.isRemote) {
                if (!player.capabilities.isCreativeMode) {

IBlockState iBlockStateStone = Blocks.STONE.getDefaultState().withProperty(BlockStone.VARIANT, BlockStone.EnumType.STONE);

ItemStack stone = new ItemStack(itemStone, 1, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateStone));
                        ItemStack andesite = new ItemStack(itemStone, 1, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateAndesite));
                        ItemStack granite = new ItemStack(itemStone, 1, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateGranite));
                        ItemStack diorite = new ItemStack(itemStone, 1, Blocks.STONE.damageDropped(iBlockStateDiorite));

boolean itemIsStone = ItemStack.areItemsEqual(heldItem, stone);

heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }

if (itemIsStone) {
                            heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }

if (itemIsAndesite) {
                            heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }

if (itemIsGranite) {
                            heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }

if (itemIsDiorite) {
                            heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }

heldItem.stackSize -= 1;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            return true;
        }
    }

Now you can move your 4 IBlockState's to the class level, adding static and final attributes (It's really not necessary to construct them every time that method is called). Likewise the item-stacks.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.