[1.10.2] Add non-lapis item to compatible Enchantment Table slot?

IceMetalPunk

Is there any way to add an item--which is *not* ore dictionary'd to lapis--to be allowed in the lapis slot of the enchantment table's GUI? I thought I was clever in using reflection to access the slot's "ores" list in the PlayerContainerEvent.open event, but that's how I learned the list is unmodifiable.

What's the best way to allow my custom item to also be used in the enchantment table's lapis slot (without being used like lapis anywhere else)?

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Is there any way to add an item--which is *not* ore dictionary'd to lapis--to be allowed in the lapis slot of the enchantment table's GUI? I thought I was clever in using reflection to access the slot's "ores" list in the PlayerContainerEvent.open event, but that's how I learned the list is unmodifiable.

What's the best way to allow my custom item to also be used in the enchantment table's lapis slot (without being used like lapis anywhere else)?

you would have to override the vanilla ContainerEnchantment with your own custom one.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

You should be able to subscribe to

PlayerContainerEvent.Open

to detect when the player opens a

ContainerEnchantment

and replace the lapis

Slot

in

Container#inventorySlots

with your own

Slot

that allows other items to be placed in it.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

ContainerEnchantment

and replace the lapis

Slot

in

Container#inventorySlots

with your own

Slot

Ah! Sounds like the elegant way to do it, thanks!

Unfortunately, it's not quite working. It's behaving oddly: it will occasionally accept the stack of amethysts (the gem item I'm trying to make it accept), but it usually won't. When I try placing the amethysts in the slot and it doesn't accept it, my player's hand blinks in the background as if switching items, even though I'm not. And if I double-click in the lapis slot with amethysts, even when it doesn't accept them, it'll still pull a full stack from my inventory as if the gems were properly in the slot.

Here's my event handler code:

@SubscribeEvent
public void onOpenContainer(PlayerContainerEvent.Open ev) {
    Container cont = ev.getContainer();
    if (cont instanceof ContainerEnchantment) {
        ContainerEnchantment ench = (ContainerEnchantment) cont;
        Slot newSlot = new Slot(ench.tableInventory, 1, 35, 47) {
            List<ItemStack> ores = OreDictionary.getOres("gemLapis");

public boolean isItemValid(@Nullable ItemStack stack) {
                if (stack.getItem() == Amethystic.items.AMETHYST) {
                    return true;
                }
                for (ItemStack ore : ores) {
                    if (OreDictionary.itemMatches(ore, stack, false)) {
                        return true;
                    }
                }
                return false;
            }
        };
        ench.inventorySlots.set(1, newSlot);
    }
}

Am I missing something here?

ContainerEnchantment

and replace the lapis

Slot

in

Container#inventorySlots

with your own

Slot

Ah! Sounds like the elegant way to do it, thanks!

Unfortunately, it's not quite working. It's behaving oddly: it will occasionally accept the stack of amethysts (the gem item I'm trying to make it accept), but it usually won't. When I try placing the amethysts in the slot and it doesn't accept it, my player's hand blinks in the background as if switching items, even though I'm not. And if I double-click in the lapis slot with amethysts, even when it doesn't accept them, it'll still pull a full stack from my inventory as if the gems were properly in the slot.

Here's my event handler code:

@SubscribeEvent

/**
			 * Check if the stack is a valid item for this slot. Always true
			 * beside for the armor slots.
			 */
					return true;
				}
				for (ItemStack ore : ores)
					if (OreDictionary.itemMatches(ore, stack, false))
						return true;
				return false;
			}
		};
	}
}

Am I missing something here?

Are you talking about shift clicking or normally placing the item into the slot? Could you show some images?

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

I meant normally placing the items into the lapis slot. If I shift-click, it puts them in the main item slot (i.e. the place where you put the item you're trying to enchant). But if I place them manually into the lapis slot, it occasionally accepts them, but more often rejects them with the player hand movement you get when switching items (or, for example, when your shield takes damage; that "hand bobbing" motion).

Screenshots won't show anything; visually, everything looks normal (except the hand bobbing which is too fast to catch in a screenshot). It's the behavior of accepting/rejecting the items in the lapis slot that's a problem.

Give me about 10 or 15 minutes and I'll try to capture a GIF of it for you; that would show the issue much better than a screenshot.

*EDIT* In recording the GIF, I discovered the glitch is very much a visual one: if I place the amethysts in the lapis slot, it seems not to accept them, but then if I put the rest of the stack in my inventory and click it again, the display updates and shows the correct number of items in the lapis slot.

Here's the GIF; note that I am not holding shift at any point here, just clicking normally with the left and right mouse button:

AmethystEnchantingGlitch.gif

I meant normally placing the items into the lapis slot. If I shift-click, it puts them in the main item slot (i.e. the place where you put the item you're trying to enchant). But if I place them manually into the lapis slot, it occasionally accepts them, but more often rejects them with the player hand movement you get when switching items (or, for example, when your shield takes damage; that "hand bobbing" motion).

Screenshots won't show anything; visually, everything looks normal (except the hand bobbing which is too fast to catch in a screenshot). It's the behavior of accepting/rejecting the items in the lapis slot that's a problem.

Give me about 10 or 15 minutes and I'll try to capture a GIF of it for you; that would show the issue much better than a screenshot.

*EDIT* In recording the GIF, I discovered the glitch is very much a visual one: if I place the amethysts in the lapis slot, it seems not to accept them, but then if I put the rest of the stack in my inventory and click it again, the display updates and shows the correct number of items in the lapis slot.

Here's the GIF; note that I am not holding shift at any point here, just clicking normally with the left and right mouse button:

AmethystEnchantingGlitch.gif

You will also have to subscribe to the GuiOpenEvent not sure if there is a player specific version, but you need to replace the whole gui displayed because the container slot there doesn't have you slot it has the original.

You'll need to subscribe to

GuiOpenEvent

GuiEnchantment

and perform the same

Slot

replacement on the client-side

Container

(

GuiContainer#inventorySlots

).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Okay...we're definitely getting closer, as now, it always accepts the amethyst item. The only problem is that even if I drop the amethyst in the lapis slot, it always moves to the first, enchanted item slot instead. I thought maybe the client-side container had the slots indexed differently, but it's just another instance of the same ContainerEnchantment class, so it should be the same index, right? So why would it move to the other slot instead of the one I drop it in?

I don't usually like to do this, but here's all the relevant code in my event handler:

// Method to replace the lapis slot on any passed ContainerEnchantment, to
    // allow amethyst
    private void ReplaceLapisSlot(ContainerEnchantment ench) {

return true;
                }
                for (ItemStack ore : ores)
                    if (OreDictionary.itemMatches(ore, stack, false))
                        return true;
                return false;
            }
        };
    }

// Server-side replacement of lapis slot
    @SubscribeEvent
            ReplaceLapisSlot(ench);
        }
    }

// Client-side replacement of lapis slot
    @SubscribeEvent
    public void onOpenGui(GuiOpenEvent ev) {
        Gui gui = ev.getGui();
        if (gui instanceof GuiEnchantment) {
            ContainerEnchantment ench = (ContainerEnchantment) ((GuiEnchantment) gui).inventorySlots;
            ReplaceLapisSlot(ench);
        }
    }

That worked, thank you! It does leave me curious: what's are the functions of slotNumber vs. index? Clearly they're two different things, and one is set in the slot constructor while the other isn't; but their names are confusingly similar.

And another quality-of-life question that's not super-important: is there a way (without replacing the entire container with a custom one) to make shift-clicking of amethysts into the lapis/gem slot work? The transferStackInSlot() code seems pretty set in the ContainerEnchantment class, but perhaps there's an elegant way to "override" it without replacing the entire class?

That worked, thank you! It does leave me curious: what's are the functions of slotNumber vs. index? Clearly they're two different things, and one is set in the slot constructor while the other isn't; but their names are confusingly similar.

slotIndex

is the inventory slot that the

Slot

represents.

slotNumber

is the index of the

Slot

in the

Container

If a

Container

has slots from two inventories (e.g. a chest and a player),

slotIndex

will be 0 to X for the first inventory and 0 to Y for the second inventory, while

slotNumber

will be 0 to X+Y.

And another quality-of-life question that's not super-important: is there a way (without replacing the entire container with a custom one) to make shift-clicking of amethysts into the lapis/gem slot work? The transferStackInSlot() code seems pretty set in the ContainerEnchantment class, but perhaps there's an elegant way to "override" it without replacing the entire class?

I don't think there is.

slotIndex

Slot

represents.

slotNumber

is the index of the

Slot

in the

Container

If a

Container

slotIndex

will be 0 to X for the first inventory and 0 to Y for the second inventory, while

slotNumber

will be 0 to X+Y.

I don't think there is.

Ah, okay! That makes sense; thanks for the explanation. I wish I could make stack transfers work, but honestly, it's such a small detail that it's not worth remaking the enchantment container entirely just for it. Players will have to be content with click-and-drop xD

Thanks again!

slotIndex

Slot

represents.

slotNumber

is the index of the

Slot

in the

Container

If a

Container

slotIndex

slotNumber

will be 0 to X+Y.

I don't think there is.

Ah, okay! That makes sense; thanks for the explanation. I wish I could make stack transfers work, but honestly, it's such a small detail that it's not worth remaking the enchantment container entirely just for it. Players will have to be content with click-and-drop xD

Thanks again!

Just extend ContainerEnchantment and GuiEnchantment and override transferStackInSlot in the container. Ahh the wonders of OOP.

And how would I make that subclassed container/UI show when the player uses a normal enchantment table, though? Isn't the default UI hardcoded to be displayed for that?

In the events replace the gui or container, or in your GuiHandler.

And how would I make that subclassed container/UI show when the player uses a normal enchantment table, though? Isn't the default UI hardcoded to be displayed for that?

In the events replace the gui or container, or in your GuiHandler.

O_o I didn't realize those were replaceable via event hooks...shows how often I deal with GUIs in Minecraft, eh? xD Thank you!